This is an excellent, highly recommended heritage bread! It's moist but made with a mixture of seven grains. You'll taste a bit of sourdough tang from starters like the early New Englanders made.
Our early settlers didn't have a lot of refined, sifted flours. You'll find a mixture of whole grains to create a very good rustic loaf and yet it's moist and soft and holds together well. It has a split top crust like authentic artisan loaves--even from your bread machine
We think that you will absolutely love this bread. This is a wonderful morning bread, one of the best breads for toast. Served warm with a pat of butter, you'll find it scrumptious. Try it with your favorite soup or toast it and make some great sandwiches. This is a great bread for grilled sandwiches.
- Each mix makes a large loaf--nearly two pounds.
- SAF yeast packet is enclosed. You provide only water and butter/oil.
- Directions and tips for perfect bread are included. You can make this bread in your bread machine, by hand, or with a stand-type mixer.
- Use a thermometer to check water temperature and we guarantee your bread will work.
If you make this bread in your bread machine, water temperature is critical. Please use a thermometer to measure water at exactly 80 degrees. A ten degree difference in water temperature can double the growth rate of the yeast. These bread mixes are satisfaction guaranteed when you use a thermometer.
What People Are Saying
"Lovely taste, had issues with the rise/proof, but could have been my issue. Will try again. Love Sourdough bread for sandwiches and toast!"
"I am so excited about how well this bread turned out I just had to write. I followed the directions of the package completely. I used a thermometer to assure the water was exactly 80 degrees. It was nice to see very fresh yeast and bread ingredients. As soon as it came out of the bread machine, it looked so great I had to take a picture. A warm slice with butter melted in my mouth. The bread had a light sour flavor...not as strong as other sour dough breads I have had. The bread was light and moist and held together well with a nice texture without being grainy. The crust was crunchy without being too tough. We are going to make panini sandwiches with it for dinner tonight. What a treat! Fresh ingredients and perfect directions...you can't go wrong."
Directions, Nutrition Facts, and Ingredients
Directions for Use in Oven
To bake this mix in your oven, follow the directions on the package.
- Place the mix in your stand-type mixer along with the yeast and melted butter or oil (if called for on package directions). Add water. Use 110°F water instead of 80°F.
- With the dough hook, mix slowly until the dough ball forms. Turn the speed to medium high and mix for five to ten minutes until the gluten forms and the dough becomes stretchy and elastic.
- Place the dough in a large greased bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled, about one hour, depending on room temperature.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Turn the dough onto a lightly greased or floured work area and form your loaf. Place your dough in a 9 x 5-inch pan or other pan and let rise until the size has doubled. When the bread has raised, place the loaf on the center rack of the oven. Bake for 30 minutes or until the bread is done. The internal temperature should reach 190°F. Remove the loaf from the pan and let it cool slightly before slicing.
NOTE: If you make this bread in your bread machine, water temperature is critical. Please use a thermometer to measure water at 80°F and we'll guarantee the bread. If you are baking the bread in the oven, use water that is 110°F.
- Stock: In Stock
- Model: M109-1
- Weight: 2.00lb