Thirteen ways to make only the muffins you love!
Personalize your muffins and make only the muffins you love. Start with very good muffins, muffins that are delicious, good for you, and rise up to tall domes. Add water and look what you can make!
1. To make Banana Muffins: Replace the water with 3 cups mashed bananas, 2 teaspoons banana flavor, and 1 1/2 Tablespoons water.
2. To make Banana Nut Muffins: Make as above and add 3/4 cup chopped walnuts.
3. To make Cranberry Nut Muffins: Add 3/4 cup dried cranberries plus 3/4 cup nuts.
4. To make Raisin Muffins: Add one cup of golden or dark raisins.
5. To make Date Nut Muffins: Add 3/4 cup dried date pieces plus 3/4 cup nuts.
6. To make Raisin Muffins: Add one cup of raisins.
7. To make Cranberry Orange Muffins: Add 1 cup of dried cranberries plus two tablespoons of fresh orange zest.
8. To make Cinnamon Chip Muffins: Add one cup of cinnamon chips plus one teaspoon of your best ground cinnamon.
9. To make Chocolate Chip Muffins: Add one cup of chocolate chips plus one teaspoon of vanilla extract.
10. To make Pina Colada Muffins: Add 3/4 cup dry shredded coconut, 3/4 cup well-drained pineapple chunks, and one teaspoon butter rum flavor.
11. To make Ginger Pear Muffins: Add one cup of dried pears plus one teaspoon of ground ginger.
12. To make Caramel Pear Muffins: Add one cup of dried pears and two teaspoons of caramel flavor.
13. To make Candied Ginger Muffins: Add one cup of candied ginger pieces.
You get the idea. Add similar quantities of your favorite "add-ins," one cup of a single ingredient or 1 1/2 cup of a combination. For wet ingredients like grated apples, carrots, or zucchini, you'll have to experiment, but it will be something similar to the banana muffins above.
We have tried dried cranberries, walnuts, cinnamon chips, and candied ginger, one cup each time. The candied ginger was excellent, but it does give them some "pop." Next up is dried apricots. We have a wonderful apricot flavor. I'll add a teaspoon or two of that.
(Not all muffin mixes are of the same size. If you have a smaller mix or recipe, use 3/4 cup instead of a full cup of raisins or nuts.)
For these muffins, all you add is water, and you'll have 12 great, high domed muffins, just like Mom used to make. They're not heavy and dense, even with the whole wheat goodness. They're sweetened with honey and are perfect with only butter.
Make them plain, or create your own. You'll love your muffins. If you don't, you can always get your money back.
How to Make Muffins Now and Enjoy Them for Months
When I'm on a bran muffin kick, I'll make three or four batches at a time, each batch different. I'll put the extras in zipper freezer bags. They freeze exceptionally well. Put one or two in the microwave, heat them, and you have a quick breakfast. They're just like they came from the oven.
We carry a large three-pound bran muffin mix, so it's easy to do that.
"Love this product. I add blueberries, raspberries, cinnamon and mango . . . they come out perfect and then into the freezer. I have one every morning with my cappuccino and I am in heaven."--Rick Leavitt
Tips and Suggestions
- Adjust the flour if you are adding fresh fruit. Berries, apples, and other fresh fruit may add moisture. You may have to add a couple of tablespoons of flour to absorb that moisture. The batter should be halfway between cake batter and cookie dough for drop cookies. It should be stiff enough that it can mound in your scoop.
- Fill the muffin tins almost to the top
- It takes a lot of batter to build a dome. If you fill the tins only 2/3's full, you'll have batter leftover and smaller muffins. This recipe is designed for 12 standard muffins.
- Start with a hot oven Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and then reduce the temperature as directed. The initial hot oven creates a burst of steam that helps lift the muffins.
- Check the cooking time Baking times are only an estimate and reflect the time required in our oven.
Ingredients: Enriched Wheat Flour Bleached (Flour, Malted Barley Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Sugar, Wheat Bran, Soybean Oil, Dry Honey, Wheat Starch, Soy Flour, Dry Whey, Leavening (Baking Soda), Honey, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Nonfat Milk Solids, Dry Egg Whites, Salt, Nonfat Dry Milk, Corn Syrup, Calcium Propionate, As preservative), Soy Lecithin, Calcium Stearate, Silicon Dioxide, Citric Acid. This product contains wheat, milk, eggs, soy and may contain traces of nuts.