How to make blintzes
There are three parts to blintzes:
- The crepes
- The filling
- The topping
Make all three parts and then assemble and fry them.
Cook the crepes.
Cook then just as shown above.
Make the Filling
The traditional filling is made with cream cheese. If you’re making a cherry or other filling, leave out the strawberries and add the other fruit. We’re in love with our Chubby Cherry Topping and it makes terrific blintzes.
Instead of making the filling from scratch, use a cream cheese pastry filling or a Bavarian cream pastry filling. They are both scrumptious and they come in easy-to-use packages. Clip the corner, squeeze out what you need, fold the corner over and save the rest for up to six months. Once you start using premade fillings, you’ll never go back to making fillings the old-fashioned way.
To make the strawberry cream cheese filling:
- 1/2 of an 8-ounce package of cream cheese
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 cup cut-up strawberries
In a food processor, a blender, or with an electric mixer, blend the cream cheese, ricotta cheese, sugar, the egg yolk, vanilla, and orange zest together until just smooth. Place the filling and the strawberries in the refrigerator until ready to use.
Tip: This recipe calls for uncooked egg. If you would prefer a substitute, use the equivalent in pasteurized eggs which are usually available in your grocer’s dairy case.
How to Make the Topping
Fresh strawberries make classic crepes. You can use other fruit such as fresh peaches in season.
- 3 cups strawberries, washed, hulled, and sliced
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
Mix the strawberries, sugar, and juice together in a food processor or blender just until the sugar is dissolved and the strawberries are lightly mashed. You should have a chunky mixture.
Set aside in the refrigerator.
How to Cook and Assemble Your Blintzes
- After the three parts are staged, the blintzes are assembled and refried. If you have never made crepes before, that’s okay. The images will show you how.
- Place a heaping tablespoon of filling and a heaping tablespoon of sliced strawberries or other fruit on the bottom half of a crepe. Fold the bottom up. Fold the sides in. Then, roll the crepe up to form a rectangular packet. (See illustrations.) Repeat with the rest of the crepes. Cover and refrigerate until you are ready to cook your blitzes.
To cook the blintzes:
Melt two tablespoons of butter in the skillet or crepe pan. Place enough of the assembled blintzes in the pan seam side down to fill the pan. Fry for about two minutes on each side or until golden and crisp. Keep the blintzes warm in the oven set at 250 degrees until ready to serve.
Serve with more topping.