Life's too short not to explore the wonderful world of breads!
With over 100 varieties, we sell thousands of bread mixes every week. Buy with confidence from the bread experts. If you have a question, we'll help you.
- Makes a large loaf--nearly two pounds--of homemade heritage bread
- SAF yeast packet included!
- Makes perfect bread in all popular 1 1/2 to 2 pound bread machines--or in the oven.
- Makes a perfect crunchy toast or chewy bread for soup or sandwiches
- Guaranteed success! Use a thermometer to check water temperature and we guarantee your breads will work.
Summerhill breads are great European breads. This is one of our most popular bread mixes.
This Irish bread, from the Summerhill region of Meath, is made with
plenty of quality rolled oats, and is particularly moist, flavorful, and
chewy. The rolled oats meld into the bread for a very smooth texture.
This is a great, healthy bread to serve your family.
"It seems that every time I try a new bread mix variety, it immediately becomes my "new favorite." This one is no exception. It's just about perfect in every way: just the right texture, perfect flavor, great for so many things -- sandwiches, toast, grilled cheese, or just sliced thick with some fresh butter."--Lana Mountford
Look what you can make with your bread mix!
This is a very versatile everyday bread. The oats make this a little moister and a little chewier than other breads.
- Make bread in your bread machine!
- Make bread in a bread pan or make a free standing loaf.
- Make great sandwiches, grilled sandwiches, and panini sandwiches.
- With the oats in the bread, it makes exceptional French toast. See the apple stuffed French toast here. It's made with an apple filling.
- Make interesting chewy dinner or sandwich rolls. Shown are hoagie buns.
- It even makes great sweet rolls. The sweet rolls shown are made like cinnamon rolls but filled with apple pastry filling and chopped nuts.
Directions for use in the oven
To bake this mix in your oven, follow the directions on the package.
1. Place the mix in your stand-type mixer along with the yeast (if included) and melted butter or oil (if required). Add water. Use 110-degree water instead of 80 degrees.
2. With the dough hook, mix slowly until the dough ball forms. Turn the speed to medium high and mix for five to ten minutes until the gluten forms and the dough becomes stretchy and elastic.
3. Place the dough in a large greased bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled, about one hour, depending on room temperature.
4. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Turn the dough onto a lightly greased or floured work area and form your loaf. Place your dough in a 9 x 5-inch pan or other pan and let rise until the size has doubled and bubbles are about to surface.
5. When the bread has risen, place the loaf on the center rack of the oven. Bake for 35 minutes or until the bread is done. The internal temperature should reach 190 degrees. Remove the loaf from the pan and let it cool slightly before slicing.
*NOTE: If you make this bread in your bread machine, water temperature is critical. Please use a thermometer to measure water at 80 degrees and we'll guarantee the bread. If you are baking the bread in the oven, use water that is 110 degrees.
Ingredients: Enriched wheat flour (wheat
flour, malted barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, and folic
acid), whole wheat flour, rolled oats, hearth bread base (enriched wheat flour
(wheat flour, malt barley flour, niacin, ferrous sulfate, thiamine mononitrate,
riboflavin, and folic acid), sugar, salt, soy oil, and wheat gluten), milk
(nonfat dry milk solids), dry honey crystals (honey, wheat starch, calcium
sterate (anti-caking agent), and hydroxylated lecithin), salt, yeast (yeast,
monostearate), and dough conditioner (added for better baking (wheat flour,
dextrose, soy flour, calcium salts, dicetyl tartaric acid esters of mono- and
diglycerides, ethoxylated mono- and diglycerides, soy lecithin, ascorbic acid,
L-cysteine monohydrochloride, fungal enzymes, azodicarbonamide, and calcium
iodate)). This mix contains wheat, soy, and dairy products and may contain
traces of eggs, tree nuts, or peanuts.