These are the Johnny cakes of Rhode Island fame and popular in the South.
They are pancakes with ground corn. You cook them on the griddle. They are light and fluffy but with a little more
substance, making them a healthy choice. If you like cornbread or pancakes, you'll love corn cakes.
These also make the best corn fritters we have ever tried. You can also make hush puppies, or batter for frying fish
To Make Corn Fritters
We've made corn fritters for years. Using Texas Corn Cake batter makes them very quick and easy. We like them with
the diced green chilies but you can leave them out. Try serving them with a syrup or a flavored honey.
- 1 1/2 cups of Texas Corn Cakes Pancake Mix
- 3/4 cup cold water, more or less for desired consistency
- 1 can corn, well-drained
- 2 tablespoons diced chilies, well-drained (optional)
- Mix the batter, water, drained corn, and optional chilies together in a large bowl.
- In a deep fryer or heavy pan, heat enough oil for deep frying. The oil should be hot, 365 degrees.
- Drop three or four large spoonfuls of batter into the hot oil. Let them cook for three or four minutes, turning
once, or until they just start to brown. Remove them to dry on paper towels. Serve immediately drizzled with
syrup or honey.
How to Make Corn Dogs Better than the Fair
- One package of eight good quality brats cut crosswise
- 1 1/2 cups Texas Corn Cake mix
- 1 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- Cooking oil, canola or other
- 16 wooden skewers about 4-inches long (cut longer skewers into shorter sticks)
- Wipe the dogs with paper towels to remove any moisture and set them aside. The batter will stick to dogs much
better if they are wiped dry.
- Insert the skewers into the ends of the hot dogs.
- In a large bowl, stir the batter mix, the egg, and the milk together. The batter will be thicker than pancake
- Pour three to four inches of oil into a six-inch deep pan. Heat the oil to 350 degrees.
- While the oil is heating, pour some of the batter into a tall glass, taller than the dogs are long.
- Dip a dog into the batter vertically and lift it from the batter keeping it straight up so that the excess
batter drops off the end and turning the coated by slowly spinning the stick between your fingers. (It is harder
to explain than to do). If the dog is not kept vertical, the batter will not be uniformly distributed around the
- Carefully stick the dog in the hot oil at an angle and hold it for three to five seconds before releasing it to
float in the oil. By holding the dog in the hot oil for a few seconds, the batter starts to cook and expand, and
the dog becomes more buoyant and less likely to stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes more or until golden brown, turning to brown evenly. Remove with tongs and drain on a
baking sheet lined with paper towels.
- Serve with your favorite dip, ketchup, or mustard.
How to Make Erin's Chili Corncakes
Erin worked for us in the store. She loves her corn cakes. This is one of her favorite quick meals.
She adds chilies
(optional) to the batter. She stacks corncakes on each plate and then loads on some chili. Sprinkles grated
cheese over the chili. If the chili is not hot enough, she'll reheat it in the microwave.
How to Make Silver Dollar Pancakes
To make perfectly round, uniform corncakes and save a bunch of time--you can make seven at once--use the Silver Dollar Pancake Mold. You can
also use this mold to make frittatas, brownies, and little cakes without turning your oven on.
How to Make Corn and Black Beans Cakes
(I love these!)
Make the mix according to package
instructions. Add 3/4 of a cup of canned black beans, well-drained, and 1/2 of a cup of kernel corn.
Take 6 or 8 slices of crisply fried bacon, crumble it, and add it to the batter. Stir until it's evenly
mixed. Instead of bacon, you can substitute leftover ham or leave the meat out altogether.
Cook on the griddle as with the
pancakes. The batter will be thick enough you may need to spread it a little with the back of a spoon before
the batter begins to bake.
Serve as pancakes with a syrup or
cheese sauce. My favorite is buttermilk syrup.
This is one of my favorite quick
How to Make Maple Bacon
Maple and bacon is a classic combination.
Take 6 or 8 slices of crisply fried
bacon, crumble it, and add it to the batter. Stir until it's evenly mixed.
Cook them as you do
How to Make Huevos Rancheros
on a Corncake Waffle
The egg is nestled on a bed of fresh
homemade salsa made with diced tomatoes and avocado with diced cilantro. For flavor, add juice from a lime
and little South of the Border seasoning. Sprinkle some shredded cheese over the salsa before adding the
fried egg. If you are using larger waffles, add two eggs.
Ingredients: Enriched wheat flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate,
riboflavin, and folic acid), stone ground cornmeal, dry milk, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. This mix
contains wheat and dairy products and may contain traces of soy, eggs, peanuts, or tree nuts.