- Stock: In Stock
- Model: M64-1
- Weight: 1.44lb
This is an amazing bread mix.
If you own a bread machine, you owe it to yourself to try this sourdough bread mix!
It's unlike any bread you've made in your bread machine. Now you can make wonderful, chewy, sourdough bread with that unique San Francisco sourdough flavor.
The California settlers relied on natural yeast spores to raise their breads and a good sourdough starter was prized and guarded. In the wet, cooler climate of San Francisco Bay, yeast spores and therefore starters, were different and San Francisco breads were distinctive with a unique sourdough flavor that is famous around the world.
With this bread mix, you will make a San Francisco sourdough in your own kitchen, one that has the tangy, distinctive flavor of San Francisco Bay. It will be chewier and crustier than other breads made in your bread machine and will look like the authentic sourdough bread with its split white top.
- One sourdough bread mix that makes a large loaf--approximately two pounds.
- SAF gourmet yeast packet inside. You add only water.
- Directions and tips for perfect bread.
- Use a thermometer to check water temperature and we guarantee your bread will work.
Notes to Bakers:
For a crusty bread: This sourdough bread naturally forms a more chewy crust than other mixes and a "medium" crust setting will be adequate in most bread machines. To maintain a chewy crust, store your bread in a paper bag, not plastic. (In plastic, the bread sweats and softens the outer crust.)
If you bake it in your oven: In your bread machine, this mix forms a very moist dough ball--too sticky to handle. You'll want to reduce the water by a couple tablespoons. You can make a wonderful sourdough bread in your oven but it takes a little patience. With less water, this is a slow riser. Allow at least a couple hours for it to rise on your counter.
If you make this bread in your bread machine, water temperature is critical. Please use a thermometer to measure water at exactly 80 degrees. A ten degree difference in water temperature can double the growth rate of the yeast. These bread mixes are satisfaction guaranteed when you use a thermometer.
What People Are Saying
"I am amazed at this bread. It really is sourdough bread!!!"
Directions, Nutrition Facts, and Ingredients
Directions for Use in Oven
To bake this mix in your oven, follow the directions on the package.
- Place the mix in your stand-type mixer along with the yeast and melted butter or oil (if called for on package directions). Add water. Use 110°F water instead of 80°F.
- With the dough hook, mix slowly until the dough ball forms. Turn the speed to medium high and mix for five to ten minutes until the gluten forms and the dough becomes stretchy and elastic.
- Place the dough in a large greased bowl, cover, and let rise until doubled, about one hour, depending on room temperature.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Turn the dough onto a lightly greased or floured work area and form your loaf. Place your dough in a 9 x 5-inch pan or other pan and let rise until the size has doubled. When the bread has raised, place the loaf on the center rack of the oven. Bake for 30 minutes or until the bread is done. The internal temperature should reach 190°F. Remove the loaf from the pan and let it cool slightly before slicing.
NOTE: If you make this bread in your bread machine, water temperature is critical. Please use a thermometer to measure water at 80°F and we'll guarantee the bread. If you are baking the bread in the oven, use water that is 110°F.