Make Pancakes, Corn Dogs and Fritters with Texas Corn Cake Pancake Mix (Large 40 oz.)
These are the Johnny cakes of Rhode Island fame and popular in the South.
They are pancakes with ground corn. You cook them on the griddle. They are light and fluffy but with a little more substance, making them a healthy choice.
If you like cornbread or pancakes, you'll love corn cakes.
These also make the best corn fritters we have ever tried. You can also make hush puppies, or batter for frying fish or veggies.
Erin, in our store, uses these for a quick supper. She makes pancakes--corn cakes--and tops them with chili and grated cheese. Sometimes she adds canned, drained chilies to the batter.
To make corn fritters:
We’ve made corn fritters for years. Using Texas Corn Cake batter makes them very quick and easy. We like them with the diced green chilies but you can leave them out. Try serving them with a syrup or a flavored honey.
1 1/2 cups of
3/4 cup cold water, more or less for desired consistency
1 can corn, well drained
2 tablespoons diced chilies, well drained (optional)
- Mix the batter, water, drained corn, and optional chilies together in a large bowl.
- In a deep fryer or heavy pan, heat enough oil for deep frying. The oil should be hot, 365 degrees.
- Drop three or four large spoonfuls of batter into the hot oil. Let them cook for three or four minutes, turning once, or until they just start to brown. Remove them to dry on paper towels. Serve immediately drizzled with syrup or honey.
To Make Corn Dogs
Using Texas Corn Cake batter mix makes these easy to make—with only four ingredients. They are as good as any at the county fair.
One package of eight good quality hot dogs cut crosswise
1 cup milk, more or less to get the right consistency
1 large egg
16 wooden skewers about 4-inches long (cut longer skewers into shorter sticks)
- Insert the skewers into the ends of the hot dogs.
- In a large bowl, stir the batter mix, the egg, and the milk together. The batter will be thick.
- Pour one inch of oil into a large, heavy skillet or use a Fry Daddy. Heat to 365 degrees.
- Holding the hot dogs over the bowl of batter, spoon the batter onto the hot dogs and spread it around to completely cover them. See the picture to the right.
- Lay the coated hot dogs, 3 or 4 at a time, in the hot oil. Turn them with tongs after 10 to 15 seconds of cooking to prevent the batter from sliding off the hot dogs. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes more or until golden brown, turning to brown evenly. Remove with tongs and drain on a baking sheet lined with paper towels.
- Serve with your favorite dip, ketchup, or one of the dips listed on this page.
Ingredients: Enriched wheat flour (wheat flour, malted barley flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, and folic acid), stone ground cornmeal, dry milk, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt. This mix contains wheat and dairy products and may contain traces of soy, eggs, peanuts, or tree nuts.