Fancy Fudgy Cupcakes with a Light Cream Filling from a Very Fudgy Baby Cake Mix
"Best chocolate cupcakes ever!"
They're very fudgy with an incredible light filling!
They're fudgy and loaded with mini chocolate pieces for a very fudgy experience. But the lighter-than-air cream filling is just unreal. Amazing! If you don't think these are the best chocolate cupcakes ever, we'll give you your money back!
Here's how to make them from a Very Fudgy Baby Cakes mix:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Prepare the pans by lining 24 cavities in standard muffin pans with paper cupcake liners.
1. Mix the cake batter per package directions. Divide the batter into the 24 paper lined cavities.
2. Bake until done, about 18 minutes. Remove the cupcakes from the pans and let them cool completely. You may wish to chill them in the refrigerator.
4. Make the vanilla whipped cream filling from the recipe below. Using a pastry bag with a star tip, insert filling into each cupcake by pressing the tip through the top of the cupcake and squeezing. You will feel the cupcake swell as the filling goes in. The cupcake will get heavier and cracks around the entry hole may develop. You may want to cut open the first cupcake to see if you have enough filling. If you have a kitchen scale, weigh the first cupcake before filling and again after. Each cupcake should have 1/2 ounce of filling.
5. Frost the cupcakes by heating a tub of fudge frosting in the microwave until it is just runny. Dip the cupcake in the warm frosting down to the top of the paper. Hold the cupcake upside down over the tub until the drips have ceased. If you want a heavier frosting, dip it again. The warm frosting will leave a glazed, smooth finish. If you use our frosting, it will taste like fudge. (You may also spread the frosting onto the cupcake with a spatula.)
6. Use the remaining filling to form a star on the top of each cupcake.
To store your cupcakes.
The whipped cream filling is best eaten the first day or refrigerated. They may be kept for several days in the refrigerator. For longer storage, freeze them.
Recipe for the Filling
This makes an outstanding filling for many cupcakes and between layers of a cake. It can also be used as a frosting.
- 1 four-ounce package of cream cheese (or 1/2 of an eight-ounce block), softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
Cream the granulated sugar with the cream cheese. Add the other ingredients and beat until light and fluffy.
Note: Use the best, heavy whipping cream you can find.
Supplies we recommend.
- Professional cupcake liners
- Professional fudge frosting (large 2 1/4 pound tub)
- Meringue powder
- Giant pastry bags
- Muffin pans
Ingredients: Cake mix (enriched wheat flour, niacin, cocoa processed with alkali, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), powdered sugar, chocolate chips (sugar, chocolate liqueur, cocoa butter, butteroil, soy lecithin, and vanilla), and sour cream solids. This product contains dairy and may contain traces of egg, nut, and soy products.