Ice Cream Sandwich Cake from a Very Fudgy Baby Cake Mix
Look what you can make with a cream cake mix!
It's not like store mixes. It's a cream cake mix with pudding in the mix and loaded with mini chips. It's fudgier, moister, and denser.
This is a fabulous cake! The moist cream cake is loaded with little chocolate pieces. It is designed as a zucchini cake but you can leave the zucchini out if you wish.
People in the store told us this was the best chocolate cake they had ever tasted. (Yes, we do serve stuff like this in the store--for free.)
We called it an "Ice Cream Sandwich Cake" because that's what it reminded us of.
Here are the directions:
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Prepare two nine-inch round cake pans. We recommended lining the bottoms with parchment paper.
1. Mix the cake batter per package directions.
2. Divide the batter into the two pans. Bake until done, about 25 minutes. remove the cakes from the pans and let cool completely. You may wish to chill them in the refrigerator.
3. Make the vanilla cream cheese frosting for a filling from the recipe below. When the cakes are completely cool, spread the filling on one of the cakes. Place the second cake on top of the first and press down lightly to spread the frosting. Use a silicone spatula to smooth and even the edge of the cake. Your cake should look like the one in the image.
We assembled this in a nine-inch springform pan. We loaded one layer in the springform and then added a layer frosting. We then loaded the second cake layer and gently pressed to force the frosting to spread to the edges. The ring holds the frosting in place.
Place the pan with assembled cake in the refrigerator or freezer for a half hour to set it up. Pop the ring off and smooth any voids with a spatula. (Notice the glass base under the cake.)
Store the cake in the refrigerator until you are ready to frost. Any leftovers should be stored in the refrigerator.
To make the ganache topping:
The following recipe will yield a thick, paste like ganache. Heat it slightly to make it spreadable. You may also thin your ganache with more cream.
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 8 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, cut into pieces
- 4 tablespoons butter
Bring the cream and vanilla to a boil. In a medium bowl, pour the hot cream over the chocolate. Stir until the chocolate is melted. Stir in the butter. Let the ganache cool until it reaches the desired consistency.
Save any leftovers for an ice cream or other topping.
Frosting recipe for the filling:
- 1 four-ounce package of cream cheese (or 1/2 of an eight-ounce block), softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon meringue powder
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
Cream the granulated sugar with the cream cheese. Add the other ingredients and beat until light and fluffy.
Ingredients: Cake mix (enriched wheat flour, niacin, cocoa processed with alkali, reduced iron, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), powdered sugar, chocolate chips (sugar, chocolate liqueur, cocoa butter, butteroil, soy lecithin, and vanilla), and sour cream solids. This product contains dairy and may contain traces of egg, nut, and soy products.