Prep Time: 35 min | Cook Time: 45 min | Total Time: 1 hour 20 min | Yields: 7
This is an outstanding soup, so good that you’ll want to serve it often to your family and fancy enough to serve to guests. It’s easy to make.
You can use either chicken or ham for this recipe. Both are good.
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 4 ounces fresh mushrooms, chopped or the equivalent in dry mushrooms
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 14.5 ounce cans of chicken broth
- 2 cups cooked ham or chicken, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme (if you use chicken)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste (salt will vary depending on broth used)
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Wash the wild rice, place it in a saucepan, cover it with water and simmer it on very low heat until the rice is tender but not mushy, about 45 minutes.
- Sauté the chopped onion, mushrooms, and carrot in the butter. Sprinkle the cornstarch over the butter and onion mixture and stir to make a paste.
- Add a little of the broth and stir to further dissolve the cornstarch. Add the rest of the broth and heat to a boil to gelatinize the starch and thicken the soup.
- Add the wild rice and ham or chicken. Add the sugar, salt, and thyme if any.
- Add the cream. Bring back to simmer but do not boil. Test for seasoning and serve.
Recommended Cream Soup Recipes
- Cream of Broccoli Soup: You can turn this into the famous cheesy broccoli soup, or you can keep it as-is for a delightfully creamy soup.
- Cream of Potato Soup: There’s nothing quite as warming as a creamy potato soup.
- Cream of Corn Soup: This is a cream soup that doesn’t require you to cream the vegetables.
- Cream of Celery Soup: This soup is similar to our cream of broccoli soup but uses diced celery instead.
- Baked Potato Soup: This creamy soup is a great way to use baked potatoes, and the bacon and cheddar make it spectacular.
- Roasted Cauliflower, Onion, and Garlic Soup: This soup is easy to prepare and delicious once the vegetables are roasted.
- Fall Harvest Soup: This is an unusual cream soup made with apples and honey for a bit of sweetness that is well-balanced with a touch of curry.
Recommended Chili and Soup Recipes
- Merri Ann’s Easy Chili
- Chicken and Black Bean Chili
- Black Bean and Rice Chili Recipe
- Southwest Corn Soup
Follow us. If you would like to follow us and receive more articles and offers, let us know here.
Free Chowder E-book: “How to Make Chowder: A Chef’s Guide to Making Chowder”. Just tell us where to send it.
Share this with your friends who love to cook and bake!