You can take your favorite muffin recipe and change or add fruit, nuts, or chips to make it a whole new muffin experience. It’s simple.
- Most recipes for 12 large muffins call for 3/4 to one cup of nuts, chips, or fruit if used. Your total of these inclusions should probably be less than two cups. Use these guidelines as starting points.
- Be willing to enhance the flavor. If you are adding apples, consider adding two teaspoons of apple flavor. If you are adding blueberries, consider adding blueberry flavor. A wide array of flavors is available.
- Tartness improves many baked goods. Consider adding lemon or orange zest or lemon flavor. (We have a terrificlemon flavor—the best we’ve ever found.)
- Be mindful of moisture. Too much moisture will cause too much spread. Use paper towels to pat extra moisture from canned fruits such as pineapple.
- Be careful with sugar. You may be tempted to add sugar to sweeten your muffins. Be mindful that sugar turns to liquid in the oven and will increase spread.