Notice that this recipe has a teaspoon of cinnamon added. You can add other spices to these recipes.
Basic cookie recipe:
1/2 cup butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon brown sugar flavor or Madagascar vanilla
2 large eggs
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon good quality cinnamon, preferably Vietnamese cinnamon.
1 cup cinnamon chips
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup grated zucchini
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or grease very well.
1. For the basic cookie: Cream together the butter, sugars, and salt. Add the vanilla and eggs and beat again.
2. Add the flour and baking soda to the creamed ingredients and beat until well dispersed, scraping the sides of the mixing bowl once. The dough will be thick like clay.
3. For the inclusions: Add the cinnamon chips and walnuts and beat until just mixed.
4. For the zucchini: Add the zucchini and bake until just combined. The water in the zucchini will transform the dough to a medium batter. Stop once it is combined or you will continue to force water from the zucchini and your batter will be too runny.
5. To Bake: Using a large ice cream scoop, scoop mounds of dough onto the prepared sheet. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until done. The tops of the cookies should look wet and the edges should be starting to brown. Immediately remove the cookies from the sheet to racks to cool. Repeat with the rest of the batter.
These are large cookies–which is some of their appeal. If you make smaller cookies, reduce baking times.
Zucchini is mostly water. If you use frozen zucchini or if the zucchini has residual water, drain it. We always used freshly grated zucchini and the cookies were consistent. If your cookies spread too much, add a little flour or to turn the temperature up.
- Learn more at the “Cinnamon Chip Resource Center.“
- Join us at the “How to Bake Cooking Club.”
- How to Make Cinnamon Chip Pancakes! Make apple, banana, and pumpkin cinnamon chip pancakes.
- How to Make Cinnamon Chip Banana Bread! This will tell you how to make it from scratch–when you don’t have a mix.
- Cinnamon Chip Biscuits! Often, we pair cinnamon chips with muffins but try them in biscuits.
- Filled Cinnamon Chip Muffins in Ramekins. This is super fun! Bake them in pretty ramekins and then fill them with apple, peach or other fillings.