Prep Time: 45 min | Cook Time: 45 min | Total Time: 1 hour 30 min | Yields: 6
This recipe for Texas Tortilla Soup belongs in everyone’s kitchen. It is so unique, so different, and so good. It seems like it would be difficult to make but it is not.
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
2 cloves garlic
1/2 medium onion, diced
1 small can green chilies, drained
2 15-ounce cans chicken broth
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cornstarch,
1/4 cup cold water
10 corn tortillas
2 cups cooked chicken or turkey, diced
grated Monterey Jack or Cheddar Cheese (1 oz per serving)
- Puree the cilantro, garlic, onion, chilies, and tomatoes in a blender or food processor. Pour the pureed mixture into a heavy saucepan.
- Add the cumin, salt, and broth to the puree and bring the soup to a boil. Turn the heat down and simmer slowly for about one hour.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the cold water. Stir dissolved cornstarch into soup. Add the chicken and bring back to a simmer.
- Cut tortillas into 1/2-inch wide strips and fry in hot oil until crisp. Drain the fired chips on paper towels
- To serve, garnish the soup with shredded cheese, sour cream, onions, and salsa.
Recommended Cream Soup Recipes
- Cream of Broccoli Soup: You can turn this into the famous cheesy broccoli soup, or you can keep it as-is for a delightfully creamy soup.
- Cream of Potato Soup: There’s nothing quite as warming as a creamy potato soup.
- Cream of Corn Soup: This is a cream soup that doesn’t require you to cream the vegetables.
- Cream of Celery Soup: This soup is similar to our cream of broccoli soup but uses diced celery instead.
- Baked Potato Soup: This creamy soup is a great way to use baked potatoes, and the bacon and cheddar make it spectacular.
- Roasted Cauliflower, Onion, and Garlic Soup: This soup is easy to prepare and delicious once the vegetables are roasted.
- Fall Harvest Soup: This is an unusual cream soup made with apples and honey for a bit of sweetness that is well-balanced with a touch of curry.
Recommended Chili and Soup Recipes
- Merri Ann’s Easy Chili
- Chicken and Black Bean Chili
- Black Bean and Rice Chili Recipe
- Wild Rice, Mushroom, and Ham (or Chicken) Soup
- Southwest Corn Soup
Follow us. If you would like to follow us and receive more articles and offers, let us know here.
Free Chowder E-book: “How to Make Chowder: A Chef’s Guide to Making Chowder”. Just tell us where to send it.
Share this with your friends who love to cook and bake!