This sweet potato pie is a happy alternative to pumpkin pie and still tastes just as good, if not better. When tasting it, before hearing the ingredients, some even called it a pumpkin pie on steroids. It uses sweet potatoes, cinnamon, ginger, and butter rum flavor instead of the typical pumpkin pie filling and a pecan streusel and is just fantastic.
What You’ll Need for the Sweet Potato Pie:
- Three medium-large yams or sweet potatoes
- Fresh ginger
- Pecan pieces
- butter rum flavor
- Just-add-water pie crust mix
- A deep-dish, nine-inch pie pan
- A pie crust shield
- A pastry blender or knife
To Make the Crust for the Sweet Potato Pie
- 1 1/2 tablespoon freshly ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cup just-add-water pie crust mix
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cold water
- Mix the ginger, sugar, and cinnamon with one-fourth cup of the pie crust mix. Stir well to distribute the ginger. (The key to this crust is getting the fresh ginger evenly distributed in the crust.) Stir this mixture into the remaining pie crust mix until it is well distributed. (You may also use a food processor to mix the ingredients.)
- Add the water. Stir with a fork to form a dough ball.
- Roll out the dough and form the crust in a deep dish pie pan. Form a decorative edge that also acts as a dam to reduce spills. (See picture for a recommended edge.)
To Make The Sweet Potato Pie
For the filling
- 2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
- 3 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons butter rum flavor
In your stand-type mixer with the whip attachment, beat the sweet potatoes until well mashed. Add the other filling ingredients and mix until combined.
For the streusel
- 3/4 cup pecan pieces
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/3 cup butter
In a medium bowl, combine the pecan pieces, flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. With a pastry knife, cut in the butter until the pieces are no larger than peas. Set aside.
To Assemble and Bake the Sweet Potato Pie.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Pour the filling into the unbaked pie shell. Spoon the streusel over the top.
- Place a pie shield over the edges of the crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 400 degrees. Reduce the heat and continue baking at 350 degrees for another 40 minutes or until done. Baking times will vary depending on the oven. As it bakes, streusel top will look wet and soft. When done, all but the very center will be set and the interior of the pie will register 170 degrees with an insta-read thermometer when done.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
Serve with whipped cream.