The sweet potato in this recipe lends color, moisture, and just a bit of earthy taste to these biscuits. You can cook the sweet potato or yam ahead in the microwave so preparation is minimal.
2 3/4 cups pastry flour
1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 cup mashed sweet potatoes or yams
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk
flour for dusting
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar together in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a blender, mix the mashed sweet potatoes, egg, and milk together until they are a smooth, consistent liquid.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the wet ingredients all at once. Stir with a spatula or fork only until mixed. Do not over-mix.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured counter and pat the dough with a floured hand into a 3/4-inch thick slab. Use a biscuit cutter to cut rounds. With a thin spatula, move the rounds to greased baking sheet.
- Bake for ten to twelve minutes or until they start to brown. Serve hot.