3 1/4 cups strawberries sliced
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 package pectin, MCP brand or equal
4 1/2 cups granulated sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
- Wash and dry the five pint-sized jam jars or plastic containers. Make sure the lids fit tightly.
- Wash and hull the strawberries and slice them. Measure the fruit to make certain that you have the right amount. Place the measured fruit in the bowl of your stand-type mixer. Add the lemon juice.
- Using the paddle attachment, stir in the pectin thoroughly. Turn the mixer to the lowest setting and let the mixer run for ten minutes. Let sit for 20 minutes.
- Add the corn syrup into the fruit mixture. The corn syrup reduces the likelihood of sugar crystallization. Add the sugar and stir with the mixer until it is completely dissolved and no longer grainy, about five minutes.
- Immediately, pour the jam into your prepared containers leaving 1/2 inch clearance for expansion while freezing. Let the jars stand on the counter for 24 hours to allow the pectin to set then freeze.
- Using the paddle and your stand type mixture will incorporate air in into your jam. The jam will be opaque and lighter color but quite attractive.
- Once the pectin begins to set up thickening the jam, do not stir. Continuing to stir will break down the pectin and make for a syrupy jam.