Time: 45 min | Yields: 10
This is a hearty and complete meal. The soup is made with ground beef, tomatoes, corn, garlic, and chili powder. The dumplings are made with corn meal. Corn, beef, and chili—that’s a southwestern dish.
1 pound lean ground beef
1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
3 cups canned or frozen corn, drained
1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
2 15-ounce cans of beef broth
1/2 tablespoon basil
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon thyme
1/2 teaspoon rosemary
salt and pepper to taste
- Crumble the ground beef and stir in the onion and garlic. Brown over medium heat and then drain the fat.
- Add the corn, tomatoes, and beef broth. Add the spices: basil, chili powder, thyme, rosemary, and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 20 minutes.
For the dumplings
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup corn meal
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 large egg
2/3 cup milk
1 cup drained corn
1/2 cup grated cheese
1 tablespoon dried parsley
- In a medium bowl, mix the flour, corn meal, baking powder, and salt together.
- In another, bowl whisk the egg and milk together. Add the cheese, corn, and parsley to the egg mixture.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until moistened.
- Drop the dough by tablespoons into simmering soup. Cover the soup with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes without lifting lid. Test for doneness by inserting a toothpick into a dumpling. It will come out clean if done.
Recommended Cream Soup Recipes
- Cream of Broccoli Soup: You can turn this into the famous cheesy broccoli soup, or you can keep it as-is for a delightfully creamy soup.
- Cream of Potato Soup: There’s nothing quite as warming as a creamy potato soup.
- Cream of Corn Soup: This is a cream soup that doesn’t require you to cream the vegetables.
- Cream of Celery Soup: This soup is similar to our cream of broccoli soup but uses diced celery instead.
- Baked Potato Soup: This creamy soup is a great way to use baked potatoes, and the bacon and cheddar make it spectacular.
- Roasted Cauliflower, Onion, and Garlic Soup: This soup is easy to prepare and delicious once the vegetables are roasted.
- Fall Harvest Soup: This is an unusual cream soup made with apples and honey for a bit of sweetness that is well-balanced with a touch of curry.
Recommended Chili and Soup Recipes
- Merri Ann’s Easy Chili
- Chicken and Black Bean Chili
- Black Bean and Rice Chili Recipe
- Wild Rice, Mushroom, and Ham (or Chicken) Soup
- Southwest Corn Soup
Follow us. If you would like to follow us and receive more articles and offers, let us know here.
Free Chowder E-book: “How to Make Chowder: A Chef’s Guide to Making Chowder”. Just tell us where to send it.
Share this with your friends who love to cook and bake!