Just four easy steps to fresh little pies!
Now you can make turnovers just like the little Hostess®-type pies instead of having to buy them from the store. You can make a batch of scrumptious turnovers in 15 minutes plus baking time, just four easy steps. Choose your favorite filling and go, whether you make berry pies, chocolate pies, lemon pies, apple pies, or even raspberry cream pies.
You’ll need three things and then these little pies are a snap:
(You can also use your dough press to make pocket sandwiches, pasties, calzones, empanadas, and more.)
How to Make Simple Turnovers
Step 1: Roll and Cut the Dough
Roll out the die dough to about a quarter-inch thick. Use your dough press to cut the dough into six-inch circles.
Step 2: Add the Filling
For the filling, use a premade pastry filling or dessert filling. In the image, we used our Chubby Cherry dessert filling. Place a dough circle on the dough press. The dough will follow the bowl-shaped contour of the press. Place 1/4 cup filling in the formed bowl. Using the dough press, fold the dough over to make a turnover and press firmly to seal.
Step 3: Bake the Turnovers
Place the turnovers on a lightly greased baking sheet and bake in your preheated oven at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly golden.
Step 4—Glaze the Turnovers
Make a glaze from powdered sugar and water. One cup powdered sugar is about right for this size recipe. Add enough water, about 1 1/2 tablespoons, to reach drizzling consistency and brush the glaze on the tops of the turnovers while still warm.
- Caramel Apple Turnover Pastries! Use pastry fillings or fresh apples to make a batch of scrumptious turnovers in just 20 minutes.
- Peaches and Cream Turnover Pastries! Turn your favorite peach pie and ice cream into an easy turnover with either fresh peaches or a pastry filling.
- How to Make Calzones! If you love these pocket pies, you’ll love calzones that are like pizza pockets.
- Mixed Berries and Cream Turnover Pastries! It’s like your favorite ice cream flavors turned into a pastry.
- Blueberry Lemon Turnover Pastries! If you ever enjoyed blueberry lemonade growing up, you’re sure to love these turnovers.
- Raspberry Cream Turnover Pastries! There really is no better combination than the raspberry and bavarian cream filling in these pastries.
- Banana Cream Turnover Pastries! Turn your favorite banana cream pie into a hand-sized turnover.
“How to Bake Like the Pros with Pastry Fillings”
Learn when to use pastry fillings and when to use pie fillings.
(Updated from May 25, 2014)