“Dad, anything with marshmallows and chocolate has to be good.” Katie was right; they are good. These interesting cookies are almost like candy bars—a chewy confection with nuts and chocolate.
These are very quick microwave cookies. With all the ingredients on the counter, it took us eight minutes to pop these cookies in the microwave. We made several batches, tinkering with them to get them just right. Everyone declared them “very good”.
Rocky Road Microwave Cookie Bars Recipe
This recipe will make sixteen 2 x 2-inch squares.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cup quick rolled oats
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2/3 cup miniature marshmallows
- 1/2 cup walnut pieces
- Place butter in an 8-inch square, microwave-safe baking dish. Microwave until the butter is melted.
- Stir in the brown sugar until dissolved. Stir in the rest of the ingredients. Press the mixture firmly into the dish.
- Microwave for three to five minutes or until lightly browned. If your microwave does not have a rotating carousel, rotate the dish twice during cooking.
- Let the cookies cool and then cut them into bars with a sturdy knife. Wrap them individually to pack in a lunch.
Baker’s note: Since microwave ovens vary significantly, you may need to experiment with cooking times. In our test microwave, four minutes was just right. Three minutes left them a little on the sticky side—but still good—and five minutes made them too chewy.
(Updated from May 21, 2014)