This is the same recipe as for standard-sized muffins except that a muffin top pan is used and the baking times are different. This recipe makes about 12 muffin tops with nice domes.
The keys for success with this recipe are:
- Use the ripest bananas that you can find. Ripe bananas have much more flavor.
- Adjust the flour if you have to. Because bananas differ in their moistness as they ripen, you may have to add a couple tablespoons of flour. The batter should be half way between cake batter and cookie dough for drop cookies. It should be stiff enough that it can mound in your scoop.
- Mound the batter up in the tins. It takes a lot of batter to build a dome. Be willing to heap it up a little in the cavities. This recipe will make 10 muffin tops but if you want higher domes, make ten.
- Start out with a hot oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and then reduce the temperature as directed. The initial hot oven creates a burst of steam that helps lift the muffins.
- Check the cooking time. Because you turn the temperature down, times are only an estimate and reflect the time required in our oven. Other ovens may retain heat as ours does.
The Perfect Banana Muffin Recipe for Muffin Tops
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cups ripe mashed banana
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup sour cream (not low fat)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 large egg yolks
1 teaspoon banana flavor
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the mashed banana, sugar, sour cream, vegetable oil, egg yolks, and vanilla together.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until the ingredients are mixed well. Fold in the nuts.
- Heap the batter up in the tins. Use all the batter for ten or twelve muffin tops. Sprinkle on the optional streusel topping.
- Bake for 6 minutes at 400 degrees. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for another 6 to 10 minutes or until done. Remove the muffins from the pan to a rack to cool.
To make the streusel topping, combine all the ingredients and stir until well combined and crumbly. Sprinkle over the muffins before baking.