Everyone needs a good chocolate chip cookie in a refrigerator recipe. This chocolate chip slice and bake cookie is it. It is a tender cookie with a texture just a bit like sandies—not chewy or gooey like some chocolate chips. It’s more of an elegant cookie, but the kids sure like it.
Again, this is an extra-large recipe so that you can freeze or refrigerate what you don’t make immediately.
FREE Cookie Guide!
“Make Cookies in 15 Minutes!”
Learn more about slice and bake cookies with 10 more recipes.
BONUS: Learn how to make multi-color, pinwheels, checkerboard, and tie dye cookies.
Chocolate Chip Slice and Bake Cookie Recipe
- 3 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 cups butter
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 3/4 cups good quality chocolate chips, either dark chocolate or milk chocolate
- Measure the flour by scooping some into a bowl and then spooning the flour into the measuring cup. (If you measure packed flour, you will have too much.) Add the baking soda and stir to combine.
- Cream the butter, sugar, and salt together. Add the extracts. Beat in the eggs until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the flour mixture and mix in. Add the chocolate chips. With the mixer or your hands, mix the dough into a single mass.
- Divide the dough into three parts. Place each on sheets of waxed paper and roll the dough in the waxed paper into 1 3/4-inch diameter logs. Refrigerate the logs for at least two hours or until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove one log from the refrigerator and cut it into slices a bit thicker than 1/4 inch. Use a sharp, serrated knife to cut through the chips.
- Put the slices on an ungreased baking sheet with room for expansion. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes or until the edges of the cookies just begin to turn brown. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
(Updated from May 11, 2014)