For these mixed berries and cream turnover pastries, we used frozen mixed berries, for this recipe and paired it with Bavarian cream.
- 1 pie crust dough for six turnovers
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1 cup individually frozen mixed berries, thawed in the microwave
- 1 cup Bavarian cream filling at room temperature
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Roll out the pie crust until it is just less than 1/4-inch thick.
- Use a dough press to cut out six circles for the turnover pastries.
- Mix the berries and the Bavarian cream together.
- Place the circles in the press one at a time. Scoop about 1/3 cup filling into the center. Brush the edges with water and fold and crimp with the dough press. Place the completed pie on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining five dough circles. Poke four sets of vent holes in each pie to allow steam to escape as the pies bake.
- Bake for about 16 minutes or the pies begin to brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
The Icing for the Turnover Pastries
You may use whatever flavor you prefer: vanilla, brown sugar caramel, orange, lemon, butter rum, butterscotch, or more. For these pies, we used lemon flavor.
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons meringue powder
- 2-3 tablespoons of water
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon flavor
Mix the powdered sugar with the meringue powder. Add the water and the flavor.Mix until smooth and spreadable, adding more water as necessary. Do not make the frosting too thin. Drizzle the frosting over the completed berries and cream turnover pastries using a disposable pastry bag or a zipper-type plastic bag with the corner cut.
(Updated from May 25, 2014)