Debbie heard that one of the pancake houses in Idaho Falls was serving stuffed pancakes. Intrigued, she checked it out. They were simply putting pastry filling between two pancakes. “I can do better than that,” she thought.
After a morning in the test kitchen, she was making cute little pancake turnovers with raspberry or other fruit fillings inside.
What You’ll Need to Make Stuffed Pancakes
How to Make Stuffed Pancakes
- Prepare the pancake batter from your favorite recipe or mix. It works best if the batter is a little thin.
- Preheat a skillet or griddle by melting a little butter over medium heat. To assure that your pancakes cook all the way through, you’ll want the heat a little lower than for other pancakes.
- Pour an evenly round circle of pancake batter on the skillet.
- Let it cook until little bubbles form, then pop, and the indentations stay on the batter.
- Spoon a small amount of pastry filling on half of the pancake, making sure not to get too close to the edges and not to overfill it. A little goes a long way and it will press and spread as you fold over the pancake.
- Fold the uncooked pancake over the filling. The edge of raw batter on the top half should touch the raw batter edge on the other when folded. It will continue to cook and seal itself on the griddle.
- Put on a lid over the pancake to help it cook through. Flip as needed to keep the browning even. Let it cook until all the batter looks cooked through.
To serve, dust the pancake with powdered sugar, pour on a little fruit pancake syrup, and top them with whipped cream.
Our Favorite Stuffed Pancake Recipes
Cinnamon Banana Cream Stuffed Pancakes
Make Cinnamon Chip Pancakes that Will Delight Your Family!
Use a cinnamon chip and syrup kit to make apple, banana, or pumpkin pancakes.
Berries and Cream Stuffed Pancakes
For berries and cream stuffed pancakes, you can use any kind of berry pancake mix. We used raspberry, but you can also use blueberry, strawberry, or mountain berry. You could also use a buttermilk mix and just add your own fresh berries to the batter.
For the filling, we used Bavarian cream filling and raspberry filling. It created a luscious, creamy filling that paired especially well with red raspberry syrup. We sprinkled a little powdered sugar over the top and served ours with fresh raspberries.
Instead of raspberry filling, however, you could just as easily use blueberry filling and Bavarian cream filling swirled together. You could also try any type of fresh berries such as strawberries, blackberries, or blueberries with just Bavarian cream. The possibilities are nearly endless.
Paradise Stuffed Pancakes
These pancakes will have you singing Aloha and dreaming of sandy white beaches. We used our Sweet Hawaiian Pancake mix that is already loaded with island flavors like orange, mango, and pineapple chunks.
For the filling, we squirted a few tablespoons of Bavarian cream filling and sliced fresh mangoes. We topped them with mangoes and bananas and doused the whole thing in coconut cream syrup. Pour yourself a glass of orange juice, and If you’re not careful, you’ll think you’re in Hawaii.
Other Stuffed Pancake Flavor Combinations to Try
- Strawberries & Cream Pancakes with Bavarian Cream Filling
- Pumpkin Pie Pancakes with Cream Cheese Filling
- Gingerbread Pancakes with Lemon Filling
- Cinnamon Chip Pancakes with Apple Filling
- Cinnamon Chip Pancakes with Cream Cheese Filling
- Blueberry Cream Cheese Pancakes with Blueberry Filling
- Buttermilk Pancakes with Cherry Filling
- Mayan Chocolate Chip Pancakes with Chocolate Bavarian Cream Filling