The concept for stuffed French toast is simple: Make a sandwich with a yummy filling and dip the sandwich in an egg mixture or egg rich batter and cook as you would for other French toasts. The filling needs to be sticky enough that the two slices of bread stick together. Other than that, let your imagination soar.
There are two ways to make stuffed French toast. Both are easy. If you can make a sandwich, you can make stuffed French toast. In fact, it’s a lot like making a sandwich.
The first way is to make it on the griddle. Spread a filling between two slices of bread, dredge it in an egg batter, and pop it on a griddle. The process is exactly the same as making a single slice of French toast. Because the heat has to drive through two slices instead of one, it takes longer to cook. If the bread is becoming too crusty before cooking all the way through, turn the heat down. At a lower heat, it will cook more thoroughly.
For a filling between the slices, you may use jam, cream cheese based fillings made with fruit or jams, pastry fillings, or fruit. Pastry fillings are a quick and easy way to make stuffed French toast.
There’s another way to make stuffed French toast: deep frying. Instead of dipping your sandwich in an egg batter, use a tempura batter. Deep frying with a tempura batter makes your stuffed French toast light and crisp. It’s not as quick and simple, but in our classes, people always prefer this method. (Peanut butter and jam French toast made this way is remarkably good.)
(With meats, cheeses, and condiments you can make sandwiches for lunch using either of these methods. Monte Cristo sandwiches is an example.)
- Spread the filling or fillings on a slice of bread (try topping it with bananas or strawberries) and add another slice to make it a sandwich.
- Dip the sandwich in an egg mixture or tempura batter.
- Place the sandwich on a hot griddle and cook as you would French toast, turning once.
21 Stuffed French Toast Ideas
- Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast: Just cream cheese filling.
- Strawberries & Cream Stuffed French Toast: Bavarian cream filling with sliced fresh strawberries.
- Raspberries & Cream Stuffed French Toast: Bavarian cream filling raspberry pastry filling.
- Blueberry Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast: Blueberry pastry filling and cream cheese pastry filling.
- PB & J Stuffed French Toast: Peanut butter and your favorite jam or jelly.
- Banana Cream Pie Stuffed French Toast: Sliced bananas and Bavarian cream filling.
- Cinnamon Burst Stuffed French Toast: Bavarian cream filling with cinnamon chips stirred into it.
- Chocolate Cherry Stuffed French Toast: Cherry pastry filling with some chocolate chips or wafers sprinkled over the top.
- Apple Pie Stuffed French Toast: Just apple pastry or pie filling.
- Peanut Butter and Banana Stuffed French Toast: Creamy peanut butter topped with sliced bananas.
- Pumpkin Stuffed French Toast: Canned pumpkin pie filling and cream cheese filling.
- Toasted Coconut Stuffed French Toast: Cream cheese filling between 2 slices of bread dipped in the egg batter and then in coconut flakes, then grilled.
- Strawberry & Banana Stuffed French Toast: Bavarian cream filling topped with sliced bananas and strawberries.
- Huckleberry Stuffed French Toast: Bavarian cream topped with fresh huckleberries.
- Chocolate Stuffed French Toast: Chocolate Pudding filled and then dipped in chocolate egg batter.
- Peanut Butter Cup Stuffed French Toast: Creamy Peanut butter mixed with bavarian cream topped with chocolate chips or wafers and dipped in chocolate egg batter.
- Banana Split Stuffed French Toast: Bavarian cream, sliced bananas, meriscino cherries, and chopped nuts stuffed between 2 slices of bread.
- Blueberry Lemon Stuffed French Toast: Blueberry pastry filling and lemon pastry filling.
- Lemon Cream Pie Stuffed French Toast: Lemon pastry filling and bavarian cream filling.
- Cherry Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast: Cherry pastry filling and cream cheese filling.
- Pecan Crust Stuffed French Toast: Bavarian or cream cheese filling but dipped in the egg batter, then chopped pecans before cooking.
Stuffed French Toast Recipes