You’re looking at a very scrumptious dessert—a raspberry cream miniature Dutch baby. And it’s as easy as it is good.Make a batch of dessert cups in less than 14 minutes. Squeeze a little pre-made pastry cream into each cup. Throw a handful of berries on top and drizzle them with a fruit syrup. Add dollops of whipped cream. Your actual prep time is less than 10 minutes—14 minutes includes the baking time. These are more fun, more impressive, and better than strawberry shortcakes. You can even make them in chocolate if you wish.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Mix 2 eggs, 1/2 cup milk, and 1/2 cuppannekoeken mixtogether.
- Put a dab of butter in each cup of asix-cup jumbo muffin pan. Put the pan in the oven to heat and melt the butter.
- Divide the batter between the six cups.
- Bake for nine to ten minutes or until the tops are golden brown. Remove the Dutch babies to a wire rack. Serve immediately.
If there is a secret to making Dutch babies, pannekoeken, it’s a hot oven. There is no leavening in the batter; it’s all driven with steam like a popover. So you have to have a lot of heat in a hurry for expansion.
Ovens are notoriously inaccurate, even brand-new ovens. If your first batch doesn’t rise the way it should, turn your oven up 25 degrees.
You can buy anoven thermometerand check your oven. (We had the ovens checked at major appliance store before doing a demo. They were off 35 degrees on average.) An experienced service technician can adjust the oven for you.
What to Fill Them With
You’re limited only by your imagination.Pastry fillingsare perfect—we have 12 kinds—but you can use pudding, pie filling, ice cream, and more. Use any fruit that you want. We have over 30 kinds ofpancake syrupsanddessert saucesto choose from. Or make your own.
It’s easy to top them with a spray can of whipped cream. It’s more fun to makeflavored whipped cream—from caramel nut to chocolate to strawberry cheesecake whipped cream. How about a peanut butter hot fudge sundae made like this:
- Make either chocolate or vanilla dessert cups.
- While they are still warm, load them with vanilla ice cream.
- Drizzle them generously with hot fudge sauce.
- Sprinkle them with salted chopped peanuts.
- Top them with a scoop of chunkypeanut butter whipped cream.
Yes, you can make whipped cream with chunky peanut butter—with more peanuts thrown in for good measure. (The picture on the right has whipped cream from a spray can—we were being lazy. Peanut butter whipped cream is much better.)
What’s a pre-made pastry filling?
It’s what your baker fills his donuts and pastries with—jelly filled donut or an apple strudel or a cream filled cupcake.
They come prepackaged. Clip a corner and squeeze out what you need where you need it. To save the remainder, fold the corner, put a paper clip on it, and refrigerate it. It will last for at least 90 days.