If you can make cinnamon rolls, you can make these sweet rolls. These lemon cream sweet rolls are reminiscent of a lemon meringue pie with the lemon pastry filling and the lemon cream cheese frosting.
FREE Baking Guide!
“How to Bake Like the Pros with Pastry Fillings”
Learn when to use pastry fillings and when to use pie fillings.
Making Your Sweet Rolls with a Mix
You can make these sweet rolls with a bread mix, but we’ve found that using a donut mix makes them sweeter, lighter, and fluffier–as close to bakery-style sweet rolls you can get.
If you prefer to use a bread mix instead or have an extra one lying around, our favorite bread mixes to use for these sweet rolls are the Buttermilk White Bread or Sour Cream Potato Rolls, but any white bread mix would work just fine.
Lemon Cream Sweet Rolls
You can make this recipe in your stand-type mixer or in your bread machine on the dough setting.
- 1 donut mix, or equal
- 2 cups (about one pound) lemon pastry filling
- Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9 x13-inch baking pan.
- Mix the dough according to package directions. Set the dough aside to rise.
- Using a rolling pin, roll the dough into a rough rectangle on a floured counter with the dough about 1/4-inch thick.
- Spread the pastry filling on the dough. Roll the dough into a log with the filling trapped inside. Pinch the seam with your fingers to keep the filling from falling out.
- Cut slices horizontally about 1 1/4-inches thick. Place the slices in the prepared pan. Cover and let rise until the rolls are doubled in size and fluffy.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until done. The center of the rolls will register 190 degrees with an insta-read thermometer. Times will vary with different pans.
- Immediately loosen the rolls from the edges of the pan and invert the pan onto a cutting board to remove the rolls and then invert the rolls and the cutting board onto a wire rack so that they finish cooling right-side-up.
- Let the rolls cool for five minutes and then frost them.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 ounces of cream cheese, softened.
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon lemon flavoring
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 3 to 4 cups powdered sugar
- Beat the butter and cream cheese together with the whip attachment of your stand-type mixer.
- Add the flavor and milk. Beat the mixture, adding powdered sugar until the consistency reaches a soft frosting just right for spreading.