These are scrumptious, filled cupcakes with a lemon pie filling or lemon pastry filling. (We recommend lemon pastry filling. A pastry filling is more concentrated, has more flavor, and a little pastry filling balances better in a cupcake.) It’s topped with vanilla buttercream frosting.
1 tsp. lemon flavor
- Use our Vanilla Baby Cakes cake mix. Mix and bake according to package directions. Add lemon flavor.
Lemon Pastry Filling or lemon pie filling
- Clip a corner on the two-pound pack of lemon filling and squeeze about 1/3 ounce through the top of each baked cupcake. If you use lemon pie filling, load a pastry bag equipped with a star tip.
The Buttercream Frosting
A buttercream recipe of your choice
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla flavor
- Make the frosting with butter, not shortening. Add the vanilla flavor to taste.
How to Assemble Your Cupcakes
- After the cupcakes are baked, frost them with the vanilla buttercream frosting.
- Use the premade pastry filling or lemon pie filling and fill the cupcakes. Press the end of the bag or a star tip through the frosting to the center of each cupcake and squeeze to deposit the filling. As you pull the tip from the cupcake, put a little swirled of filling on top of the cup covering the hole. Garnish your filled cupcakes with graham cracker crumbs.