These are wonderful creamy cupcakes with a bright, lemon flavor. The cake is lemon, the filling is lemon, and the frosting is a buttercream frosting to balance the flavors.
How to Make Lemon Cream Pie Filled Cupcakes
The Cupcake Recipe
Add the lemon flavor to the cake mix. Mix and bake according to package directions.
About the Lemon Pastry Filling
Use our Lemon Pastry Filling to fill your lemon cream pie filled cupcakes. Clip a corner on the two-pound pack of lemon filling and squeeze about 1/3 ounce through the top of each baked cupcake. If you use lemon pie filling, load a pastry bag equipped with a star tip.
Free Baking Guide!
“How to Bake Like the Pros with Pastry Fillings”
Learn when to use pastry fillings and when to use pie fillings.
The Buttercream Frosting Recipe
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup shortening
- 1 pound powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons meringue powder
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Milk (as needed for consistency)
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla flavor
Beat the butter, shortening, powdered sugar, and meringue powder together. Add the lemon juice and vanilla. Beat the frosting, adding enough milk to reach the desired consistency. Add the vanilla flavor to taste.
How to Assemble Your Cupcakes
- After the cupcakes are baked, frost them with the vanillabuttercream frosting.
- Use the premade pastry filling to fill the cupcakes. Press the end of the bag or a star tip through the frosting to the center of each cupcake and squeeze to deposit the filling. As you pull the tip from the cupcake, put a little swirl of filling on top of the cup covering the hole.
- Garnish your filled cupcakes with graham cracker crumbs.
(Updated from February 3, 2016)