Time: 45 min | Yields: 3
This is a very good soup. It will remind you of a chicken and rice soup but with bright orzo and a distinct lemon flavor. If you would like a less intense lemon flavor, add only half of the lemon that we used.
1/2 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cubed
1/4 cup flour
3 tablespoons butter
2 14.5 ounce cans of chicken broth
1/3 cup lemon juice
zest from one lemon
1/2 cup lemon garlic orzo pasta
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
salt and pepper
- In a large pan, fry the chicken in olive oil until the chicken is fully cooked. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large bowl, stir the chicken broth, lemon juice and lemon zest together. In a large saucepan, make a roux by melting the three tablespoons butter, on medium heat, and then stirring 1/4 cup flour into the butter until combined. Slowly add the chicken broth mixture to the roux.
- Once all of the broth mixture is added to the roux, turn up the heat to medium high to boil the soup mixture. Once the soup has boiled, add the 1/2 cup lemon garlic orzo pasta and turn the heat to medium low and cook for fifteen minutes, or until the pasta is tender.
- Add 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder and 1/4 teaspoon onion powder. Salt and pepper to taste if needed. Garnish with curly leaf parsley and serve warm.
Recommended Cream Soup Recipes
- Cream of Broccoli Soup: You can turn this into the famous cheesy broccoli soup, or you can keep it as-is for a delightfully creamy soup.
- Cream of Potato Soup: There’s nothing quite as warming as a creamy potato soup.
- Cream of Corn Soup: This is a cream soup that doesn’t require you to cream the vegetables.
- Cream of Celery Soup: This soup is similar to our cream of broccoli soup but uses diced celery instead.
- Baked Potato Soup: This creamy soup is a great way to use baked potatoes, and the bacon and cheddar make it spectacular.
- Roasted Cauliflower, Onion, and Garlic Soup: This soup is easy to prepare and delicious once the vegetables are roasted.
- Fall Harvest Soup: This is an unusual cream soup made with apples and honey for a bit of sweetness that is well-balanced with a touch of curry.
Recommended Chili and Soup Recipes
- Merri Ann’s Easy Chili
- Chicken and Black Bean Chili
- Black Bean and Rice Chili Recipe
- Wild Rice, Mushroom, and Ham (or Chicken) Soup
- Southwest Corn Soup
Follow us. If you would like to follow us and receive more articles and offers, let us know here.
Free Chowder E-book: “How to Make Chowder: A Chef’s Guide to Making Chowder”. Just tell us where to send it.
Share this with your friends who love to cook and bake!