These are wonderful aebleskivers made with a recipe from our aebleskiver pan manufacturer. The egg whites make it light. The ricotta makes it rich.
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
zest from 1/2 lemon
3 egg yolks
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
3/4 cup ricotta cheese
5 egg whites
jam or preserves
- Whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, sugar, salt, and lemon zest.
- In another bowl, whisk the egg yolks slightly. Add the buttermilk and cheese and combine with a whisk. Stir the egg yolk mixture into the flour mixture with a whisk until combined. Some lumps will remain.
- With an electric mixture, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form—about 2 or three minutes. Fold half of the egg whites into the batter and then fold the rest in.
- Heat the aebleskiver pan on medium heat. Put a quarter teaspoon of butter in the bottom of each well. When the butter bubbles, add one tablespoon of batter to each well. Place a reason jam or preserves on top of the batter. Than add another tablespoon of batter.
- Cook for two to three minutes or until the bottoms are golden. Use two skewers or two toothpicks to flip that aebleskivers and then cook for an additional two or three minutes. Remove and dust with powdered sugar. Serve warm.
Yield: About two dozen.