“You’ll never go back to plain vanilla whipped cream.”
We tell people that all the time. It’s true. Let them taste caramel whipped cream. Caramel whipped cream is stunning.
Make caramel whipped cream like ordinary whipped cream but substitute brown sugar for the white and caramel flavor for the vanilla flavor. Add some chopped, salted snack nuts and you have a caramel nut whipped cream. The salty contrasted against the sweet and the smooth against the crunchy is delightful.
In addition to substituting another flavor for vanilla, you can add the following:
- Spices (a ginger and cinnamon whipped cream on pumpkin pie is outstanding)
- Chopped nuts
- Cocoa or chocolate
- Cream cheese
- Lemon, lime, or orange zest
That’s just what we’ve explored.
If you are going to get serious about fancy whipped creams, you’re going to need a stabilizer. A stabilizer makes the whipped cream more stable (I guess that’s kind of obvious) so that it stands up better and resists melting.
You should be able to go three or four hours without rewhipping. (Yes, you can rewhip cream several times, even the next day.)
Here are the stabilizers we have used.
- Meringue powder. This is what we use most. It’s commonly used in frosting to stabilize them but it works perfectly in whipped cream. Use one or two tablespoons for every two cups of whipping cream.
- Cream Cheese. We use this often. It will not only stabilize your whipped cream but make it taste like cheesecake. Beat the sugar into the cream cheese before adding the whipping cream to avoid little cream cheese nodules.
- Unflavored gelatin. This is often recommended. We’ve tried it. It works. Why bother when you have meringue powder.
- Cocoa. Make sure it’s good quality cocoa; it will carry the flavor of your dessert. The starch in cocoa will help stabilize your whipped cream.
Oh, one more note: If you add enough meringue powder to whipped cream, you have whipped cream frosting. A chocolate whipped cream frosting is outstanding. We make such a mix; it’s called Better than Buttercream Frosting. It is. You can easily make your own.