Michael Johnson, our marketing guy, is a fun guy. When we told him that we knew how to make French Fried Peanut Butter and Jam Stuffed French Toast, he lit up like a kid at Christmas. “That’s a bull’s-eye.” He said the combination of “French fried,” “Peanut Butter and Jam,” and “French toast” was like hitting the slot machines in Vegas.
A Perfect Marriage of Childhood Favorites
Growing up, French toast was always the classic breakfast and peanut butter and jelly sandwiches were the classic lunch. Combining the two and deep frying them in a tempura batter? An absolute masterpiece that will leave you licking every last crumb from the plate.
- So simple! Making French fried PB&J stuffed French toast is as easy as making the sandwich, dipping it in an egg mixture or batter, and frying it on the pan.
- So tasty! PB&J sandwiches were always a childhood favorite. Turning them into French toast and topping them with syrup is even better and is sure to become the new family favorite.
- So many options! You don’t have to stop at PB&J stuffed French toast. Let your imagination soar with how to fill your toast. You can even stuff it like a cheesecake or cream pie.
How to Make Stuffed French Toast
Step 1: Make a Sandwich
Make a sandwich with your preferred filling (see ideas below). We used peanut butter and jam.
Step 2: Dip the Sandwich
Dip the sandwich in an egg mixture or in an egg-rich batter. We used a batter for ours to make it fry better.
Step 3: Cook the Sandwich
Either cook it like you would for other French toast on a griddle or use a deep fryer.
Two Ways to Fry Your French Toast
French Toast On the Griddle
The first way is to make it on the griddle. Spread a filling between two slices of bread, dredge it in an egg batter, and pop it on a griddle. The process is exactly the same as making a single slice of French toast. Because the heat has to drive through two slices instead of one, it takes longer to cook. If the bread is becoming too crusty before cooking all the way through, turn the heat down. At a lower heat, it will cook more thoroughly.
Deep-Fried French Toast
There’s another way to make stuffed French toast: deep frying. Instead of dipping your sandwich in an egg batter, use a tempura batter. Deep frying with a tempura batter makes your stuffed French toast light and crispy. It’s not as quick, but in our classes, people always prefer this method. And yes, peanut butter and jam French toast made this way is remarkably good.
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- butter for frying
- 10 slices good quality bread
- peanut butter
- your choice of jam
- Spread the mixture on half the slices of bread and top with the other half to form sandwiches.
- Whisk the egg, milk, and vanilla together. Gradually stir in the flour.
- Heat a skillet with a couple tablespoons of butter in it. When the skillet is hot, dip the sandwiches in the egg mixture, turning to cover both sides, and then place them in the hot skillet.
- Cook one side of the sandwiches and then the other until the French toast is lightly browned. Serve immediately.
More Ideas for Stuffed French Toast
While you can use anything, cream cheese is the most popular filling. So are pastry fillings. We often mix the two, mixing cream cheese with a little sugar to sweeten it and then spreading a layer of cream cheese and then pastry filling—like cherry or pineapple–between the two slices of bread. You can buy a cream cheese filling and skip the step of mixing cream cheese and sugar together.
Pecan Crusted Cherry Stuffed French Toast
Pecan Crusted Cherry Stuffed French Toast is one of my favorites. Make a sandwich with cherry filling and cream cheese filling and dredge it in egg wash. Then dredge it in crushed pecans and put it on the griddle. The heat will toast the pecans. Drizzle it with cherry syrup or cream syrup. (Yes, we sell fancy syrups too.)
Strawberries and Cream Stuffed French Toast
Strawberries and Cream Stuffed French Toast is a celebration of summer and the strawberry season. You can never go wrong with Bavarian cream filling and sliced strawberries.
Raspberry Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast
Raspberry Cheesecake Stuffed French Toast tastes exactly how it sounds. Exquisite. It’s stuffed with raspberry pastry filling and cream cheese pastry filling.
Banana Cream Pie Stuffed French Toast
Who doesn’t like banana cream pie? Stuff your French Toast with Bavarian cream filling and sliced bananas, and you have delicious Banana Cream Pie Stuffed French Toast.
Cinnamon Burst Stuffed French Toast
Cinnamon Burst Stuffed French Toast is stuffed with Bavarian cream filling with cinnamon chips mixed into the cream. The result is to die for, especially if you’re as fond of cinnamon as I am.
Like these recipes? Share them with your friends now!
(Updated from October 3, 2014)