Plus the Best Banana Nut Muffin Recipe
We think this is the best banana nut muffin recipe ever. But then we made batch after batch after batch in our test kitchen to get it just right. It’s not too sweet but has plenty of banana flavor and is moist and tender. This recipe makes 12 standard muffins with very high domes.
The keys for success with this recipe are:
- Use the ripest bananas that you can find. Ripe bananas have much more flavor.
- Adjust the flour if you have to. Because bananas differ in their moistness as they ripen, you may have to add a couple tablespoons of flour. The batter should be half way between cake batter and cookie dough for drop cookies. It should be stiff enough that it can mound in your scoop.
- Fill the muffin tins almost to the top. It takes a lot of batter to build a dome. If you fill the tins only 2/3’s full, you’ll have batter left over and smaller muffins. This recipe is designed for 12 standard muffins.
- Start out with a hot oven. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and then reduce the temperature as directed. The initial hot oven creates a burst of steam that helps lift the muffins.
- Check the cooking time. Because you turn the temperature down, times are only an estimate and reflect the time required in our oven. Other ovens may not retain heat as ours does.
Here’s the recipe. We’ll follow with suggestions for variations.
The Best Banana Nut Muffin Recipe
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 cups ripe mashed banana
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup sour cream (not low fat)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 large egg yolks
2 teaspoons banana flavor
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the mashed banana, sugar, sour cream, vegetable oil, egg yolks, and vanilla together.
- Add wet ingredients to the dry and stir just until the ingredients are mixed well. Fold in the nuts and chips.
- Fill the well-greased tins nearly full. Use all the batter for twelve standard muffins.
- Bake for 8 minutes at 400 degrees. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for another 8 to 10 minutes or until done. Let sit for five minutes and remove the muffins from the pan to a rack to cool.
Cinnamon Chip Banana Nut Muffin Recipe
Mix and bake as directed. At the end of the mixing, add one cup pecan or walnut pieces and 3/4 cup cinnamon chips.
Peanut Butter Chip Banana Nut Muffin Recipe
Mix and bake as directed. At the end of the mixing; add one cup pecan pieces or chopped peanuts and 3/4 cup peanut butter chips.
Chocolate Chip Banana Nut Muffin Recipe
Mix and bake as directed. At the end of the mixing, add one cup pecan or walnut pieces and 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips.
Island Paradise Banana Nut Muffin Recipe
Mix and bake as directed. At the end of the mixing, add one cup well-drained and patted dry pineapple pieces, either canned or fresh. Add 1/2 cup flaked coconut.
Using these recipes as patterns, you can create many variations. Here are other items to consider: