About the Cinnamon Chips
Besides the apple pieces, the cinnamon chips make the recipe. They’re much better than your average cinnamon because they leave a burst of cinnamon in every bite.
Cinnamon Apple Muffins Recipe
- 1 1/3 cups plus two tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon Korintje cassia cinnamon
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 teaspoon apple flavor
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup cinnamon chips
- 3/4 cup walnut pieces (optional)
- 3/4 cup diced dry apple pieces
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Grease a regular-sized 12-muffin cup pan. This recipe makes 12 large muffins.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flours, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- In another bowl, stir together the eggs, vegetable oil, buttermilk, flavor, and brown sugar until smooth. Form a well in the dry ingredients and pour in the liquid mixture. Stir just to combine. Fold in the chips, dry apples, and nuts.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin. Place the muffins in the oven and reduce the heat to 375 degrees. Let bake for 13 to 15 minutes or until the tops are lightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the muffins sit for several minutes in the pan and then remove them from the pan to a rack to cool.
Baker’s note: Baking times will vary depending on how well your oven holds the heat. The high heat creates a burst of steam in the batter that helps the muffins rise with well-domed tops.