Everyone likes a chocolate chip cookie. The oats make it a chewy chocolate chip cookie. If you like chewy chocolate chip cookies, try these. If you’ve never had no-bake chocolate chip cookies, you’re missing out. These are an absolutely must-try dessert.
- So tasty! The melted butter, brown sugar, milk, and peanut butter combine to make an almost fudgy effect around the chocolate chips, oats, and peanuts.
- Quick and easy! This is one of those cookies you make on the stovetop. We made ours in less than ten minutes from assembled ingredinets to cookies on the sheet. It’s that easy.
- A wholesome treat! These oatmeal chocolate chip no-bake cookies make for wholesome cookies that you won’t mind including in your child’s lunchbox.
The Story of the Preacher Cookie
Way back in the day, it was normal for the preacher to come around, making unannounced visits. You’d be going about your day when, across the field, you’d see the preacher making his way to your house. It would be rude to not offer food, but what was left to do with such short notice? And there was no way you were willing to heat up the whole house.
And so the no-bake preacher cookies were born. Throw the ingredients on the stove, bring it to a boil, mix it all together, and spoon them onto parchment paper to set. The cookies were ready before the preacher could even knock on the door.
So that’s how the preacher cookies got their name; it’s what you’d make every time the preacher came around.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1 cup quick rolled oats
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped salted peanuts
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- In a saucepan, cook the brown sugar, evaporated milk, and butter. Cook over medium heat, stirring continually, until the mixture comes to boil. Cook for one minute longer.
- Remove from heat, stir in peanut butter, quick oats, and vanilla. Let cool until just warm to the touch then stir in the peanuts and chocolate chips, stirring just until the chips and peanuts are dispersed.
- Drop the cookies by the spoonful onto a nonstick baking sheet or waxed paper. Cool completely in the refrigerator.
Baker’s note: If you stir the chocolate chips in before they have sufficiently cooled, they will melt. That’s not bad but you will have chocolate cookies instead of chocolate chip cookies.
Like this recipe? Share it with your friends now!
(Updated from May 21, 2014)