This recipe is very similar to the peach muffin recipe. Again, they are light and airy but are studded with maraschino cherries and topped with a brown sugar streusel.
This is another light, sweet muffin made rich with sour cream. The bright red cherry bits make this a particularly attractive muffin and a delight for kids.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
2 large eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/3 brown sugar
1 cup sour cream
1 10-ounce jar of maraschino cherries, drained and chopped
2/3 cup pecans, chopped
For the topping:
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons butter
Visit The Scone and Muffin Center
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
1. In a medium bowl, mix the flour, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg.
2. In another bowl, whisk two large eggs. Add the oil, milk, extract, brown sugar, and sour cream. Blend well. Stir in the cherries and nuts.
3. With a spatula, mix the dry ingredients into the liquid mixture. Stir until just combined. Spoon the batter into 10 to 12 well-greased muffin tins. Ten muffins will give you large, nicely-domed muffins. Fill any unused muffins cups half full of water.
4. In a small bowl, mix the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Cut the butter in with a pastry knife until you have a coarse mixture. Spoon the topping onto the muffins before baking.
5. Bake for eight minutes at 425 degrees. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking for another 6 to 10 minutes or until they test done with a toothpick. Let the muffins sit in the tins for a few minutes and then remove them to wire racks to cool.
Bakers note: The burst of heat in the initial high temperature helps dome the muffins.