If you’re like us, you’re always looking for good recipes for ripe bananas. This is a great recipe and you get to use up six of those ripe bananas on the cupboard.
This is an absolutely scrumptious cake. The cake is loaded with bananas. And the caramel whipped cream is unbelievable.
This upside down cake uses a boxed cake mix so it is super easy. It’s a great recipe for a busy day.
If you choose, you may make this cake with your favorite white or yellow cake recipe.
1/4 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
optional 1/2 cup Peach Pineapple Paradise Jam or equal
optional 1 tablespoons water
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a 13 x 9-inch baking pan, melt the butter in the oven while the oven heats. Stir the brown sugar into the butter and spread the mixture evenly across the bottom of the pan. Slice four of the bananas and spread them on the brown sugar. Spread the pecans evenly over the bananas.
- Mash the last two bananas. Make the cake batter as directed on box, adding the mashed bananas, sugar, and banana flavor. Pour the batter over the bananas and brown sugar.
- Bake for 32 to 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool for about three minutes. Place a large serving plate or cutting board upside down on pan so that the pan is covered. Turn the plate and cutting board over and, holding the pan and cutting broad together about four inches off the counter, drop the two together. The cake will pop out onto the cutting board. Remove the pan. Cool 20 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, make the optional jelly glaze. Add jelly and water to a small saucepan. Heat until the marmalade is melted. Strain the jam to remove the pieces if desired. Brush the glaze over the cake.
- Cut and serve with the whipped cream.
Caramel Whipped Cream
2 cups whipping cream
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons caramel flavor
Whip the cream to soft peaks. Add the brown sugar and flavor and continue whipping.