Time: 30 min | Yields: 7
This is a creamy potato soup—a little different than a chowder—and topped with cheddar and bacon. This is a soup that everyone will like.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 15-ounce can chicken broth
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 3 medium russet potatoes, baked and cooled
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup grated cheese (for garnish)
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and snipped into pieces
- 3 tablespoons sliced green onions
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and carrot and cook until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in flour. Gradually stir in broth and evaporated milk. Cook over medium heat. Stirring occasionally, until the mixture thickens and just comes to a boil.
- Scoop the pulp from the potatoes and add to the soup. Cook again until thick.
- Add the cheese, salt, and pepper and stir until the cheese is melted the soup is thin.
- Serve with grated cheese, bacon, and green onion on top.
Recommended Cream Soup Recipes
- Cream of Broccoli Soup: You can turn this into the famous cheesy broccoli soup, or you can keep it as-is for a delightfully creamy soup.
- Cream of Potato Soup: There’s nothing quite as warming as a creamy potato soup.
- Cream of Corn Soup: This is a cream soup that doesn’t require you to cream the vegetables.
- Cream of Celery Soup: This soup is similar to our cream of broccoli soup but uses diced celery instead.
- Roasted Cauliflower, Onion, and Garlic Soup: This soup is easy to prepare and delicious once the vegetables are roasted.
- Fall Harvest Soup: This is an unusual cream soup made with apples and honey for a bit of sweetness that is well-balanced with a touch of curry.
Recommended Chili and Soup Recipes
- Merri Ann’s Easy Chili
- Chicken and Black Bean Chili
- Black Bean and Rice Chili Recipe
- Wild Rice, Mushroom, and Ham (or Chicken) Soup
- Southwest Corn Soup
Follow us. If you would like to follow us and receive more articles and offers, let us know here.
Free Chowder E-book: “How to Make Chowder: A Chef’s Guide to Making Chowder”. Just tell us where to send it.
Share this with your friends who love to cook and bake!