Adding nuts to a crust can make all the difference. This one combines walnuts, lots of cinnamon, and butter. This crust works wonderfully well with creamy smooth pies from vanilla cream to pumpkin. It also works well with fruit pies with precooked fillings. A canned fruit filling can be used with this crust and then garnished with whipped cream for a quick, elegant dessert. Since it is a crumbly crust, it even works well as a crust for a cheesecake.
Pair this crust with your favorite pie and you’ll love the combination.
Additional Recipes and References
- Free! How to Bake, a free 250 page baking book
- Free! Easy Cheesecakes from A to Z (Includes “A Cheesecake Troubleshooting Guide)
- Free! A Manual for No-Bake Cheesecakes
- Springform Pans from Round to Square
- Click to see the Cheesecake Recipe Index with over 40 additional recipes
American Walnut Pie Crust Recipe
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. You will need one buttered, nine-inch deep-dish pie pan either a light-colored or glass pan.
1. Place the flour, sugar, cinnamon, and salt in a small bowl and stir to combine.
2. Place the nuts in a food processor or blender and pulse just long enough to chop the nuts finely, not into a paste. Scrape the nuts into the flour mixture and stir to combine.
3. Add the melted butter and combine well.
4. Press the mixture into the buttered pie pan making certain that the crust is evenly thick.
5. Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until it just starts to brown on the edges. Do not over bake. A light-colored or glass pan will absorb less heat than a dark one and help ensure against over baking.
What is the best way to remove the pan so that it does not stick?
Immediately after removing the cheesecake form the oven, place it on a wire rack to cool. Let the cheesecake set in the pan for about ten minutes then loosen the crust from the pan with the edges of a thin-bladed metal spatula. After about forty-five minutes, remove the ring. It should fall away easily form the cheesecake. Allow the cheesecake to finish cooling. Chill thoroughly before cutting.