In the heat of the summer, it’s important to drink plenty of liquids. That’s especially so for children as they play in the sun. Here are some ideas:
• Puree fruits and freeze them into ice cubes. Use the ice cubes in lemonade or other drinks. Peaches, raspberries, and cherries work well. Strain the fruit puree before freezing to make it smooth. (ah-ha, one more use for that free stainless strainer.)
• If you don’t want to go to the work of pureeing and straining fruit, use a fruit pancake syrup. We made ice cubes from blueberry syrup and used them in lemonade, as shown in the picture above. Dilute the syrup with two parts water for one part syrup before freezing the ice cubes. Other syrup choices include boysenberry, cherry, raspberry, peach, and strawberry.
• Add pancake syrup to your lemonade to make cherry lemonade, strawberry lemonade, and so forth.
• Add fruit juices or fruit syrup to soda water.
• Add fruit juices or fruit syrup to lemonade.