Looking for something different for the holidays? This pumpkin cheescake is absolutely phenomenal. It has a pumpkin cheesecake filling with a vanilla cheesecake top layer. The crust is made with gingersnaps which compliments the spicy pumpkin filling perfectly. If you are not in love with gingersnaps, substitue vanilla wafers for the crumbs.
Pumpkin Cheesecake in a Gingersnap Crust
This scrumptious cheesecake is best made the night before so that it can thoroughly chill in the refrigerator. (Of course, that is one less thing you have to do on the day of the dinner.)
You will need a nine or ten-inch springform pan for this recipe. (The nine-inch size is perfect.)
For the crust
1 1/2 cups crushed gingersnaps
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts
1/4 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoons butter, melted
For the filling
3 8-ounce packages of cream cheese
3 large eggs
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/3 cup pumpkin puree
1/4 cup whipping cream or yogurt
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
1. Crush the gingersnaps. Mix the crumbs with the nuts, brown sugar, and melted butter in a nine or ten-inch springform pan. Press the mixture into a crust across the bottom of the pan and up the sides. Put the crust in the refrigerator to set up while you prepare the filling.
2. Mix the cream cheese, eggs, granulated sugar, salt, and vanilla together with your stand-type mixer using the whisk attachment. Beat until smooth and fluffy, six to eight minutes. Set about 1 1/2 cups of the mixture aside for the topping.
3. To the remaining filling, add the pumpkin, whipping cream or yogurt, and spices. Beat until well-mixed. Pour the filling into the prepared crust. Carefully spoon the set-aside topping over the top of the pumpkin-cheesecake filling.
4. Bake for 70 to 80 minutes or until the top starts to brown and the center of the cake is just barely jiggly.
5. Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack for ten minutes. Run a knife around the edge of the pan to loosen. Remove the ring and let the cheesecake cool completely. Refrigerate for several hours before serving.