This is one of our favorite sticky toffee pudding recipes. It’s made with shredded coconut and crushed pineapple.
For the toffee sauce
This is not complicated to make. You will need a candy thermometer. Just cook it until you reach the desired temperature.
1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1/4 cup (1/2 cube) salted butter
1 teaspoon butterscotch flavor
- In a large heavy saucepan, add the cream, brown sugar, corn syrup, and butter. Over medium heat, bring the ingredients to a gentle boil stirring often. Continue cooking until the temperature reaches 230. You will need to stir constantly as it approaches the targeted temperature. Set aside.
- Once the sauce has started to cool, stir in the flavor. Let the sauce cool completely.
- It the sauce is too thick to spread, thin with a little additional whipping cream.
For the pudding
1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup (1 1/2 cubes) butter
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup crushed pineapple with juice
3/4 cup shredded coconut
2 teaspoons vanilla flavor
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a 8 x 8-inch baking pan with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand-type mixer, cream the butter and sugar together. Beat in the eggs and then the pineapple, coconut, and flavor. The batter will vary depending on the amount of juice available in the crushed pineapple. The batter should be the consistency of muffin batter, a little softer than drop cookie dough. If it is not, add two tablespoons milk.
- Add the flour mixture and beat until just well combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Scrape the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 minutes or until the cake tests done with a toothpick stuck in the center of the cake. Let cool on a rack in the pan.
To assemble the pudding
Spread the sauce on the cooled cake. Place the topped cake in the oven set at 350 degrees for six minutes or until the sauce is bubbling thickly. Remove from the oven. Gasp the edges of the parchment paper and lift the cake to cutting board for cutting and serving. Serve with sliced bananas and whipped cream or ice cream.