Our son-in-law, Ben Frantzen, claims that our White Chocolate Cheesecake is the best cheesecake recipe ever. It is good. We made this dark variation of the recipe and think it is equally good–when you are in the mood for a chocolate cheesecake. It is a rich cheesecake. Be sure to use a good quality chocolate.
Serve this cheesecake plain or with a topping. You will need a ten-inch springform pan. Our glass-base springform pans are perfect.
Additional Recipes and References
- Free! How to Bake, a free 250 page baking book
- Free! Easy Cheesecakes from A to Z (Includes “A Cheesecake Troubleshooting Guide)
- Free! A Manual for No-Bake Cheesecakes
- Springform Pans from Round to Square
- Click to see the Cheesecake Recipe Index with over 40 additional recipes
For the crust:
1 2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs
1/2 cup butter, melted
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
For the filling:
4 8-ounce packages of cream cheese
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
4 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups semisweet chocolate wafers or 8 ounces of semisweet chocolate baking bars
Preheat the oven 350 degrees.
1. In a 10-inch springform pan, mix the graham cracker crumbs, melted butter, and sugar together. Press the mixture across the bottom of the pan and up the sides to form the crust. Put the crust in refrigerator while you mix the filling.
2. With the paddle attachment of your stand-type mixer, beat the cream cheese and sugar together. Add the eggs and vanilla and beat until smooth. Drizzle in the melted chocolate while the beaters are running. Pour into the crust.
3. Bake for 50 minutes or until the cake is done. Let cool on a wire rack. After ten minutes, loosen the sides with a spatula and remove the ring. Refrigerate the cheesecake to cool completely.
Notes about springform pans
We most often use glass based springform pans. You can slip the cake on the glass bottom onto a serving palter for easy cutting and serving. A glass base avoids the metallic taste that sometimes comes from metal bottoms.
If you enjoyed this New York cheesecake recipe and would like to see more like this, please subscribe to our food and recipe newsletter.