We used mixed berries, individually frozen, for this recipe and paired it with Bavarian cream
2 cups just-add-water pie crust mix for six turnovers
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoons cold water
1 cup individually frozen mixed berries thawed in the microwave
1 cup Bavarian cream filling at room temperature
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the pie crust mix and water. Roll out the pie crust until it is just less than 1/4-inch thick.
- Use a dough press to cut out six circles for the little pies.
- Mix the berries and the Bavarian cream together.
- Place the circles in the press one at a time. Scoop about 1/3 cup filling into the center. Brush the edges with water and fold and crimp with press. Place the completed pie on the baking sheet. Repeat with the remaining five dough circles. Poke four sets of vent holes in each pie to allow steam to escape as the pies bake.
- Bake for about 16 minutes or the pies begin to brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool.
For the icing:
You may use whatever flavor you prefer: vanilla, brown sugar caramel, orange, lemon, butter rum, butterscotch, or more. For these pies, we used lemon flavor.
Make your icing by mixing 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar with 1 1/2 tablespoons meringue powder. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons water and 1/2 teaspoon flavor. Mix until smooth and spreadable adding more water as necessary. Do not make the frosting too thin. Drizzle the frosting over the completed apple pies using a disposable pastry bag or a zipper-type plastic bag with the corner cut.