When we started this project, we wanted to develop a standard recipe, a recipe that you could use and vary over and over by adding different meats, vegetables, or spices. We have done that. The recipe that follows conforms to the basic rules for quiche:
- Use 1/2 cup dairy for each large egg.
- Use 1/4 cup grated cheese for each egg. (You may use less cheese if you desire but we feel this is about right for both taste and mouth feel.)
- Use 3/4 teaspoon salt for a four-egg quiche.
- Use about 1 cup of added meats and vegetables for a four-egg quiche. (This is a rule of thumb only and may vary depending on your tastes and the ingredients used.)
- Bake until the internal temperature is at least 165 degrees but not more than 185 degrees. This typically takes about 45 minutes in 375 degree oven for a four-egg quiche but may vary according to the ingredients and pans used. A thermometer is the only way to accurately tell if the quiche is done.
So here is the basic quiche recipe:
1 pie crust shell
4 large eggs
2 cups half and half
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 to 1/2 teaspoon seasonings (optional)
1 cup prepared vegetables or meat
1 cup grated Swiss or cheddar cheese
Baker’s notes: Most vegetables and meats need to be precooked. Vegetables need to well-drained so that water does not leak into the quiche and interfere with the coagulation of eggs. Some vegetables, such as mushrooms, need to be well cooked to remove excess moisture.
One cup of cheese produces a cheesy quiche. Many recipes call for less than that.
For a richer quiche, use cream instead of half and half. Milk can be used and is especially satisfactory in cheese-rich quiches.
The traditional seasoning is nutmeg. Nutmeg is strong enough that only 1/8 teaspoon is used. Paprika, thyme, basil, oregano, and taco seasoning are other seasonings that can be considered.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the oven rack on the lower 1/3.
- Form the crust in a nine-inch pan, preferably a silver or light colored pan.
- Whisk together the eggs, half and half, salt, pepper, and seasonings.
- Stir in the meat and vegetables and grated cheese. Pour the filling into the unbaked pie shell.
- Bake until the internal temperature of the filling is at least 165 degrees but not more that 185 degrees (about 45 minutes).