At one time, IHOP® restaurants served a lingonberry crepe, a crepe with a cream cheese filling and topped with a lingonberry spread. It was wonderful. This is our own version with a filling that includes finely chopped walnuts.
For the crêpes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups milk
2 large eggs
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pinch salt
- Sift the flour into a medium bowl. Make a well in the center.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, sugar, vegetable oil, and salt. Add to the flour and whip to a smooth batter. Refrigerate the batter for two hours.
- Heat a nine-inch crêpe pan on medium high heat. Brush with butter.
- Measure batter into the hot pan. Immediately tilt and rotate the pan so that the batter covers the bottom of the pan in a thin layer.
- Cook until bubbles appear and the bottom of the crêpe is a nice even, golden brown.
- Use a pallet knife or thin, sturdy spatula to turn the crêpe. Cook the second side only it is a blonde color, not as dark as the first side.
- Remove the crêpe to a sheet of parchment paper or waxed paper and repeat with the rest of the batter.
For the cream cheese filling
12 ounces cream cheese
1/3 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup walnut pieces, finely chopped
1 large egg yolk
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon almond or vanilla extract
- With an electric mixer, blend all ingredients together until smooth.
To assemble your crêpes
- Fill your crêpes, folding as desired, with the cream cheese filling.
- Spoon lingonberry spread over the crêpes.
- Garnish with whipped cream.