This is a great frosting recipe. Use it to frost a layer cake, brownies, or cupcakes. It works well with either a yellow cake mix or chocolate cake mix. If you use a yellow cake mix, consider throwing a handful of chopped peanuts into the batter. If you want cream filled cupcakes, use Bavarian cream.
You may use chunky or smooth peanut butter. If you skip the chopped peanuts for garnish, use smooth.
This is a large recipe and makes enough frosting to fill and frost a layer cake. If you are going to use this frosting for brownies or a single layer cake, you may cut it in half.
Baker’s Note: We did notice that when testing this recipe with a refrigerated separated peanut butter that the frosting started to separate after it set. Try using a consistent non-refrigerated peanut butter like or adding more powdered sugar.
1 8-ounce package of cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
5 cups powdered sugar
a scant 1 cup peanut butter
2 to 3 tablespoons milk
3/4 cup roasted, salted peanuts for garnish (optional)
- Cream together cream cheese and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar one cup at a time and beat after each addition.
- Add the peanut butter and beat until light and fluffy.
- Add milk until the frosting reaches a spreadable consistency.
- Spread the frosting over the cake or cupcake.
- Coarsely chop the peanuts and sprinkle over the frosting.