Most of us are familiar with cinnamon raisin bread rolled up pinwheel style and baked. Stromboli is a savory version made with meats, cheeses, and sauces.
Use this recipe to make stromboli from scratch, with a mix, or refrigerated dough. Make them in smaller sizes to serve as subway-type sandwiches or larger loaves to slice into individual servings.
Be creative with the ingredients! Try a flavored bread like Garden Harvest Bread and switch cooked meats, cheeses and vegetables to fit your tastes.
1 bread dough recipe, mix, or refrigerated dough to make one loaf of bread
1/2 pound thinly sliced deli ham
1 cup shredded or 6-8 slices mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup sliced black olives or black or green olive tapenade
1 1/2 cups fresh baby spinach
1/3 cup diced red onion
1 1/2 tsp Zesty Pizza & Pasta Spice
1 large egg
freshly grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix your dough according to instructions. Roll it into a rectangle about 1/3 inch thick.
- Spread the ingredients uniformly on your bread dough to about an inch along each edge.
- Whisk 1/2 tablespoon of water with your egg to create an egg wash. Brush the egg wash along one of the long sides.
- Start rolling your dough from the long side without the wash. Roll completely and seal the edges where the wash meets the roll.
- Use the remaining egg wash to seal and pinch the ends closed and to brush over the top of the loaf for color.
- Place the loaf in a greased baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes or until dark brown and the internal temperature reaches 190 degrees with a thermometer.