Keep this versatile recipe on your recipe shelf. Whip it out for birthdays, when you’re in a hurry, or even guests. Make Pineapple Upside Down Cake, Boston Cream Pie, or California Lemon Cake. Double it to make a white layer cake. You’ll find this recipe easy and use it so often that it will feel like an everyday recipe. As a birthday cake or an everyday cake, this is a white cake recipe that you can count on.
Visit The Cookie and Cake Decorating Center
1 cups sugar
1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 cup shortening
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tablespoons baking powder
3/4 cups milk
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Grease and dust with flour a single 9-inch round cake pan for a single layer cake. Dust two if you are doubling the recipe for a layer cake.
1. Cream the sugar, salt, and shortening together. Add the egg and beat until light and fluffy. Add the vanilla.
2. In another bowl, mix the flour and baking powder together.
3. Add about one-third of the dry ingredients to the creamed mixture and mix briefly. Add about one-third of the milk and mix. Continue twice more with the remaining flour and milk. Do not over mix. Scrape the batter into the pan.
4. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the cake tests done with a toothpick.
5. Let the cake rest in the pan for about five minutes and then remove it to a wire rack to continue cooling.
Recipes that use this cake: