With this recipe, you can make funnel cakes like those at the state fair. You’ll delight the kids and impress your friends. They’re easy but there are a couple tricks to making them.
The concept is simple: Drizzle cake batter into hot oil to cook much like you would donuts—but with a batter that is much wetter. You will need a funnel or other container for the batter. It needs to be easy to control so that you can pour a steady, continuous stream of batter into the hot oil. We’ll give you three alternatives:
- Funnel. A large funnel is the traditional tool. Put your finger over the nozzle to control the flow into the hot oil. For us this is little messy and takes a bit to get used to.
- A large pastry bag. Again this is a little messy but easy to control.
- A pitcher. If you have a pitcher with a lid and the right sized opening, this is a great solution. We use a funnel measuring cup and wrap the top with plastic wrap to create a top and it works perfectly. We can control the size of the opening to about 3/4 inch with the plastic warp.
2 1/2 to 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups milk
powdered sugar for dusting
- In a medium bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups of the flour and the baking powder together.
- In a large bowl, mix the eggs, sugar, salt, and milk together. Add the flour and baking powder mixture and stir until smooth. Stir in more of the remaining flour until you have achieved the desired consistency—a batter thin enough to run through a funnel, but thicker than pancake batter.
- In a deep fryer or heavy skillet, heat the oil to 375 degrees. Place you finger over the hole in the bottom of the funnel and add one-half to 2/3’s cup batter. Hold the funnel close to the oil, remove your finger, and release the batter into the hot oil while making a circular motion.
- Fry until golden brown turning the cake once. Remove the cake and place it on paper towels to drain.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar and serve hot. Toppings can include:
- Pastry fillings
- Dessert sauce