This is another cream soup where you do not puree the vegetables.
1 can of whole kernel corn, drained
1 sweet onion, diced
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
salt to taste
1/2 cup cream
hot sauce to taste
paprika or chili powder for garnish
- Sauté the onion dices in the butter until they are tender and translucent but not browned.
- Add the flour and stir and cook until a soft paste has formed but not browned.
- While still cooking, pour in 1/2 cup of the broth while stirring with a whisk. Gradually add the rest of the broth, stirring to make the mixture smooth and not lumpy as if you were making gravy. Continue cooking until the mixture is bubbly and has thickened.
- Pour two to three cups of the liquid into your blender. Puree the mixture until it is smooth. Continue in batches until the entire soup is puréed.
- Pour the soup through a strainer into a clean pan. Press any pieces through the sieve with the back of a spoon.
- Add the corn and cook for five minutes.
- Salt the soup to taste. Add the cream. If the soup needs further thinning, add water. Reheat, add hot sauce to taste, garnish with paprika or chili powder and serve.